1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help a Tremolo n00b decide on a Kahler tremolo please.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Graham Monette, Mar 14, 2008.

1. hey guys. I dont know enough about this stuff to make even a somewhat informed decision on my own, so I'd really value your input.
    http://www.kahlerparts.com/Other_Pages/Model_Specs.htm

^ I have no idea which one of these would be the best. I have a Peavey Millenium series 4 string (just a $300 bass I use for band duty)
    but I'd like to throw in a Tremolo (all the while knowing the tremolo will cost more then the bass did). But I was wondering which one of those would be the best, in terms of the least amount of modification to the body itself. I'd prefer to stay away from a heck of a lot of routing to the back side as what you'd find on any electric guitar, as in a stratocaster. I wont be doing the work myself, so I'm just trying to keep the costs down).

Are there any tremolos that dont require all that extensive modification to install? If so, what would be the best bet for the best usability VS. cost/install in your opnion?
    Thanks a lot for reading this, and thanks in advance for your help. :)

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I don't know anything about the Peavey, but you can get Kahlers for $189 at Wammiworld

3. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I'm not super familiar with trem brands for bass, but I think the Kahler cam design is probably your best bet but it will still require some routing. Before buying one I'd check around your area for a tech who is competent enough to install it for you.

There are tremolo systems that require no routing at all. A Stetsbar for Les Paul type guitars comes to mind. I have no idea if someone has done something like this for bass, and if they have I'm sure its really expensive (if its anything like the guitar version it'll be over $300).

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    No such luck, closest anyone got is modding Bigsbys.

5. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    I put a hipshot on my Peavey Millenium but yeah the Kahler is definitely easier to route for. You just need to extend the bridge space really. So it can move back and forth.

6. Great. Thanks.
    Do you mind if I ask what the string spacing is? since I dont know on this bass, and I dont want to order in the wrong tremolo.
    -Cheers

7. Kahlers have a 6 way movement so they can bemoved forward/backwards, up/down (those for intonation) and side to side for the players ideal string spacing. all information can be found here http://www.kahlerusa.com/home.html