Help about fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Markie, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    hey guys, i want to buy a fender Standard P-bass MIM, then i'll change the pickups to Seymour DUncan 1/4 pounder. Is this a good idea? Will the bass sound good?
  2. Trix Rabbit

Trix Rabbit

Jul 23, 2004
    IME, the MIM Fender basses have been very good lately. Personally, I would buy the MIM bass 1st, play it in your band setting, home rehearsing, etc. Then if you feel that the MIM pu is not good for you, buy a Quaterpound from a place with a return policy so if you don't like it, you can return it.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I did this to our sound man's MIM P, and it improved the sound 73 percent. It's a good idea, but the BassLines are a bit snug in the pick guard. You may need to file the openings a skosh.
  4. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    You could get a Fender Japan re-issue p-bass for the same price 400.00$ and it comes with american p-ups, and you can get any color,year,make,model ETC of the p-bass you desire.
    Go to,they got basses that put the Mex's to shame,the frett-work on the mex is garbage,I would'nt pay 200.00$ for a standard MIM let alone 400.00$.the quality control is to variable for me,while Fender Japan rocks on a consistant basis(basses)
    adam :bassist:
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    The SD QP'er pickup is apparently pretty nice. I've got the Hot for P, which is essentially the same pickup, but with a smaller output (the QP is crazy, crazy hot). Really, really great sound. I'd buy it again if I was given the choice!
  6. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Dimarzio makes a kick arse p-bass pick-up with adjustable pole pieces,they nail the p-bass sound but add some volume,I have them in my japanese p-special and my frankenfender p-bass.
    And believe it or not itmy japan made p-bass with the Dimarzio makes my American Fender sound a bit on the weak side,it really adds some B@lls to a lower end bass. :bassist:
  7. Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    Is Fender MIM that lousy? Japan made is much cheaper in Singapore. Fender MIM sells for 1100. Fender MIJ is 765. Why is that so? Since Fender MIJ is better, it should be more expensive. If i buy Fender MIJ, change it pickups to 1/4 pounder, is it a good idea?
  8. Markie

Jun 9, 2004
    What about if i buy essex p-bass and replace the pickup with 1/4 pounder. Will it be a good idea? Will it sound good?
  9. In general the price for Fender goes in this order.

Fender MIA
    Fender MIJ
    Fender MIM

The quality is suppose to in the same order as the price range. My honest opinion is of late, MIJ are of much better quality than MIA or MIM. The price is decent as well.

Check into the MIJ basses, you won't be sorry.

FWIW, I have found no reason to change the pickups on the 4 MIJ's that I own. The stock pups do the job just fine.

I wouldn't waste my money on an Essex. For the price of the Essex and the 1/4 pound pup you can purchase and MIJ and I believe you will walk away with a better sounding, feeling, playable bass.