Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! acoustic bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robas, Jun 17, 2004.

1. robas

robas

Jun 17, 2004
    Hi everyone,
    I want to buy an acoustic bass guitar (fretless)and can't decide between two models: Takamine B10 and Taylor AB1/AB2. I would like it to sound more upright -like.Taylors designed by Steve Klein seem to be great basses but the Takamine design ( F-holes, bridge construction and fingerboard shape) would suggest that it could be best. Unfortunately I need to buy online- I live in a country with no expensive instuments in music shop stock- everything by order:( Maybe You had the opportunity to touch one of these beauties and could share some oppinions. Thank You!

2. How much acoustic volume are you looking for? I've never played one, but the recent threads about the Takamine seemed to indicate that it sounded very good amplified but didn't have much volume unplugged.

I've played several of the Taylors, but never a fretless one, and I would think that would be the way to go if you're looking for a more "upright" tone.

Mike

3. sedgdog

sedgdog

Jan 26, 2002
    Pasco, WA
    Check out the Carvin AC40 / AC50. I have two. Very upright like sound. www.carvin.com

Good Luck,
    Tim

4. robas

robas

Jun 17, 2004
    acoustic volume is not really important for me, because i will plug it in anyway....what i'm after is the sound. I use la bella black nylon tapewounds on a fretless ABG and I'm already pretty close but I want to make it better:) my bass is a 32" scale so I thought I should change to 34" and maybe with bigger body...(please don't suggest upright:) I can't imagine playing anything in vertical position:) and my small and weak fingers would't last long:(
    My 2 main questions after reading some older threads are - is takamine b10 really difficult to play in guitar position? and how about Taylor AB2 - how does it compare to the Takamine?
    Thanx

5. If you're strictly after amplified tone, you'd probably do well to look at the Rob Allen basses, as well.

The Taylor and Takamine are rather different instruments in design and construction, so what specifically do you want to know when you ask "how does it compare"?

Mike

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have played the Takamine B10 in a local store, and offer the following advice:

Unless you've played a B10 and like it, don't even consider it. It plays and works much more like an electric upright than a bass guitar. It has a radical fingerboard radius and the neck feels like an upright not a bass guitar. It is -very- quiet acoustically and absolutely can not be played without an amp. This is not a problem per se as long as you know that this is the nature of the instrument and are looking for this.

The B10 is an interesting and beautiful instrument, and it sounds lovely, but it is completely unlike any other ABG out there and needs to be understood as such.

In my experience, yes. Certainly much more difficult to play than my Tacoma.

7. robas

robas

Jun 17, 2004
    thanks guys! I know alot more now! I will probably go for a Taylor AB2 because of the playability (neck) but just wanted to be sure if the sound is not too much electric-fretless like. I mean if it doen't improove the sound what's the point of having such a BIG body:) it would be much easier to go for a Rob Allen type of instrument- but I do believe that the character (not only the volume) of the sound must be affected by the size of the body
    thanx again:)

8. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    With ABGs -- either the fully acoustic or the electro-acoustic type -- your playing technique is going to be a bigger factor as to whether it sounds like an electric fretless than the instrument itself. I've played several (and own a Renaissance fretless) and even with the dull tapewound strings, they can all be made to sound *very* electric depending on how you phrase things or attack the strings.