1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help Adding New Computer To Network

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sterling_Bass, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Today my sister got a new lap top and I'm having difficulty adding it to the wireless network. My desktop is connected to the modem and router, so I logged into the router and added the mac address of the new lap top.
    Even after this I was unable to see my network on the new computer. This was finally resolved when I enabled SSID broadcast.

Now here is the current problem; when I try to connect to the network from the lap top a message pops up saying there is an "UNKNOWN ERROR". I keep trying things to resolve the issue, but can't seem to figure it out.

I know there are many talented and capable computer guys on TalkBass. Please could someone guide me in the right direction? Thanks for taking the time,
    Sam.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Vista or XP?

3. Vista

4. The error you are getting is very generic and not descriptive enough to tell you where to look.
    Mac computers usually throw an error like that.

Check the computers event viewer if its a windows operating system.

Click on start> run> then type: eventvwr then click OK
    Check the logs

5. Steve66, what exactly do I need to check for in the logs?

6. The reason why it was not working was my own error. I double checked the mac address I entered into the router and it was not for the wireless card, but for something else. Thanks for the help though!

7. Im glad you were able to figure it out. I was prepared to give you my phone number and help you troubleshoot over the phone. The event viewer logs are a valuable resource. May not tell you exactly whats wrong, but if you read them often enough you can notice the trends and fix potential problems before they occur.

8. I'm glad I figured it out too. No better way to learn than through fixing mistakes. I'll be more careful next time. I appreciate the help though.

9. Thats how I learned to play bass :)

10. So you must be one great player now I bet :)