Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

help advancing my playing please

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Xanadu, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Xanadu

Xanadu

Jul 17, 2005
    hey, i've been a bass player for about a 2years , and my playing now feels as though it is going nowhere. I dont have a teacher , which i hate ,but my parents cant afford to get me one, and since im only a student, it would be really hard to get one on my own, so im stuck with cyberfretbass and learning songs by ear.

But now im at a point were im kind of lost in my learning, i just dont know what to learn, i know the basics of scales and arpeggios, should i dive deeper in those? and also, i dont know what songs to play , my music is gettin boring kinda, so any song suggestions for a intermediate play would be apreciated

any help is welcomed , thanks in advance :D

2. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
  3. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah i'm pretty much exactly the same as u with my bass playin right now, i find i can learn things better with someone whos learnign the same thing as me, but i cant find anyone whos looking to learn theory lol, damn only if i new u in real life, i will also be reading up on the help u give him aswell lol

4. myrockinbass

myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    Find other players who are better than you and "jam" with them. Heck, find any other players to play with!

As far as learning by ear, start listening to styles of music you aren't familiar with or don't like, it may open new windows to styles and ideas!

5. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I've hit a bit of a barrier myself.

I fallen a bit ill and I can't afford to buy new strings. So I'm stuck with 9 month old strings that have lost All of there harmonic overtones.

Hopefully I can get around this little obstacle.

6. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    every bass player i find (which isnt many) r always sayin i'm one of the best they've seen in person, but i always tell them that i dont no theory and not many scales and they wont beleive me, but i jam with drums all the time and guitar and both together so thats why i am still looking for someone intrested in learning theory with me, but i'll probs jus start by my self amd keep looking anyhow, or i could just find a guitar player whos wanting to learn it aswell....hmm

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Chili, if there is any way at all you could get in a band or at the very least, find a guitarist, drummer or key boardist to jam with, you will discover an entirely new realm of motivation. Playing with a real live other person or person shows you in a hurry your weaknesses and strengths.

8. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    i jam with a drummer all the time, i was in a band, but then the singer left and we were about to get a new one in but then the guitar player left, but he came back a few weeks ago to have a jam with me and the drummer, who r the only two members left but we still jam, and it went well, so we arranged to have another practice last sunday but he sed he couldnt make it, he used to say that when we were in a band all the time and hes doin it again already...
    this kid who i dont really no is in a band and is looking for a bass player and has been askin people to get in touch with me and see if i would want to be that bass player, but i'm put off becouse i dont no theory and all that and he does and probs the rest of the band does, and i feel i wont be able to keep up with them without that knolage....