Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! (Advice needed by beginner bassist)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tetzz, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Tetzz

Tetzz

Jan 5, 2006
    Well im a 12 year old kid (From the UK) whos just started playing Bass at school. However, i have no bass of my own, but i am starting lessons soon, I just want some advice on what guitar to get, any strong bass songs to listen to, etc. Any advice is good advice.

PS. Hope this is in the right section.

(Edited your title - "Help!" as a thread title might draw attention in the wrong way.).. X

2. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    I'll give you the advice that my friend gave me - start cheap and see how you like it.

So, I got on Ebay and bought a generic $50 bass and a 10 watt practice amp. The idea is to see how you like it first. I decided that I liked it very well and I have since upgraded my bass and amp.

But, you might consider spending just a wee bit more on the bass. It's all personal preference, but I wish I had spent around $100 on a bass to get one a little better. But, that's just me.

Who knows. You might stick with it or abandon it altogether. Going cheap early is safer. If you get addicted, then you'll want to get better gear. It's called GAS - Gear Aquisition Syndrome.

3. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC