1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP!!! AGUILAR Vs. ACCUGROOVE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kharmakazee1, Apr 20, 2010.

1. kharmakazee1

kharmakazee1

Mar 12, 2009
    Looking for opinions........
    I am playing currently through a LMK II and a single Aguilar DB112 with a tweeter (8ohm). I have the oppurtunity to purchase another DB112 / NO tweet or I have the chance to get rid of my current DB112 cab and buy an Accugroove tri210-L (at a steal I might add). The tri is 4ohms. Your help, opinions and expertise are all greatly appreciated.

2. I'd stick with the DB112's myself, especially if you dig the tone. If it was a couple of Tri112's or a Tri115, it would be a horserace. However, the Tri210 (unless it has been greatly changed over the last couple of years) is among my least favorite cabs... boomy and dark.

If you can try it, then you will know. If you can't... go with what you know. The DB112 stack is awesome with that head, and you will be amazed at the increase in volume, open low end and punch when you add that second cone and get that LM cranking at 500 watts.

IMO and IME.

3. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Yeah.. DBs and GS work best when in a pair... they really enhabce each other... I just pulled the trigger on a Bergantino ht112er.. see how it works if great, then another is on the way.

4. kharmakazee1

kharmakazee1

Mar 12, 2009
    Thanks for the input. I have heard 2 DB's paired with that head in a friends band which got me thinking but I have been reading a lot lately about the accugroove as well and just needed to hear someone else's thoughts on it.
    Thanks again!

5. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    well, not to be contrary but, I personally did not like the Aguilar GS's that I used some time back and they are very similar to the DB cabs to my ear. Kinda just there as far as their native sound or tone. OTOH, the Accugroove cabs I have tried Tri2x10, Tri112 and Tri115) were really impressive to my ears. Very well balanced and clear and projected the sound of the bass and amp very well.

I did end up selling the Aggies and did buy and keep a Tri115 (not the 2x10).

Of course all the usual caveats apply: your ears, your amp, your tone goals etc etc etc.

6. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I use a tri110 for all my gigs, i will throw a 15 under it for big gigs. It has a very even clear sound that some people do not like due to our ears being trained for regular cabs.

OTOH I used to have an Aggie GS210 and it was a fat punchy cab.

Both great brands so I believe the sound is personal. try and play through both with your amp/bass/hands and decide for yourself :)

7. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Here's another vote for a DB-112. I'm weighing in I because I strongly disagree that the DB sounds just like the GS. To my ears they are very different, and I'm a big fan of the DB's. Two is my favorite rig, though I often work quite happily w/just one. To be fair to your initial question though, I've no personal experience w/Acugroove cabs.