Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Am I stupid??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by WesW, Feb 9, 2005.

1. WesW

WesW <>< Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2002
    St Joe Beach, FL
    Ok, here's the deal. I have been a Steinberger afficianado for years. Love the designs, the headless, the mystique - the sound! So I had a custom bass made to fit Steiny hardware. Gorgeous bass. However - not using the bass - I put it up for sale - and ended upselling the parts. No problem - still have the gorgeous body.

My Question - is it possible - risky, stupid, too much work, etc - to alter this body - which is gorgous - to accept a 'regular' neck and bridge and forego the steinberger stuff? It is nearly impossible to get replacement parts, and I have no desire to try to get a bridge milled so I can rebuild this into my dream fretless. I'd just as soon buy a neck, bridge and other assorted hardware and build a new bass.

The bridge is routed, which I assume would have to be filled, and the Steiny neck angle would have to be cut to accept a regular neck. Apart from this - - - am I stupid!?

Thanks!! Any and all advice appreciated!

2. Why don't you just get one of the many Steinberger copies available for cheap on e-bay. Many of them have actual Steinberger hardware.l This is what I did: i got a Riverhead headless for less than $200 with all black-chrome steinberger bits. This'll be much cheaper than the method you are thinking about, and you'll get to retain all the benefits of Steinberger's design (light neck, easy tunability, cool factor, easy string-changes).