1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help! Amp head options?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by foldgerz, Aug 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. I'm looking to upgrade my rig soon and i would love some suggestions and opinions from my fellow tb'ers.. its been quite awhile since i posted anything. I will start by saying that I'm not an english major, and i don't want help correcting my thread lol i do want help finding a new amp for my rig though.

What I'm looking for in an amp is:
    S.s. or hybrid (less service)
    800 + watts (headroom)
    Rack mountable (convienience)

Things i would like (not deal breakers)
    High and low mid control
    Speakon
    Built in d.i.

This is just what i am leaning towards. It is vague but I'm open to options. Not set on two 8 ohm cabs or one 4ohm i figured i would work around my amp.. I'm not sure what else to put down kind of hard from my crappy phone. Used is my first option but will buy new within reason. My budget is roughly 800, no more that 1000. The more i don't have to spend the better but I'm not one for bottom dollar gear/ entry level. Been there, done that. You get what you pay for. I play in a country rock band. Finger style with 5string fender jazz. We play a couple bars a year now. We mostly play town festivals or tri-state music festival (beer tents).

Is that enough info?

zon6c-f likes this.
  2. Mesa D-800+
    Fender Bassman 800.

3. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    SWR SM-900 will have all you ask for and more. Will sound amazing, last forever, and cost about $5-600.

foldgerz likes this.
  4. I was looking at those two i have never played mesa but heard good things. Have you played either of those heads? What do you like most about them?

5. I found a used one on guitar center, i wonder if they would ship to my local center to try it out?...

6. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    I don't think they will. The older ones might not have speakon. You'll have crazy control over your mids and one of the best and often overlooked feature they have is a sep level control for the DI - I almost cannot get by without one - you can adjust stage volume on the fly without altering the signal to the PA.

foldgerz likes this.
  7. That would be great! Yea i would really like the speakons too! Its a great connection.

8. moogieotter

moogieotter Custom Title

Jun 16, 2009
    Duluth, GA
    SWR SM-900 | david's Gear Locker

I bet he would take $700 and still include the shipping and rack gear. That's the exact SM-900 that is most preferred as it is the last version before Fender bought out - though many people, even me do not think that matters much. It should have speakons and all the bonus features.

foldgerz likes this.
  9. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    GK MB800, SS, Low & Hi Mids.
    The size of a book.

BOOG likes this.
  10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Just note that many parts for the SWR amps are no longer available, that might impact your serviceablity requirement.

Element Zero and foldgerz like this.
  11. Yea thats a valid point i do want to be able to fix and or repair if needed...

12. Anyone have experience with any of the other models suggested the mesa 800+, bassman 800, or mb800? Just wondering voicing qualities and anything that makes that amp stand out to you? What make that amp the one over another?..

13. I know them mostly from my own research into what I might want in an amp. Basically asking the same question as you have.

For the Mesa, they are a rock solid design. I don’t think you can get any better in that class of amp.
    Were I making a living at playing bass, I think this would be my tool of choice.

The Bassman 800 features check every box on my list of what an amp should be. Not that the Mesa doesn’t, but the Fender also speaks to me on emotional and styling levels. Like many here, I come out of the late 60s rock era. Fender, Vox, Kustom are the visuals I associate with that time in my life. The Bassman has it all and does it in a classic Fender package.

Say what you will about my reasons for the amp’s I mentioned, they are my reasons. Your needs and yes even desires may vary considerably from mine. That’s OK. You will ultimately do your own research and form your own opinions based on both sound technical reasons, but perhaps not without some emotion or style considerations. I simply toss out those two amps for your consideration.

foldgerz likes this.
  14. Very well put!!
    I too love the style of the fender! Which does pull me closer and i am doing alot of research. videos, forums, bassist and as much local vendors as i have available.. i just wish i had all options at my fingertips to find out myself which one is my cup of tea. But i don't live close enough to a huge city to spend the time with all brands. Thanks everyone so much this is all very helpful to me.

15. I too am in the same situation. I have a much better chance of finding new Fender gear where I live, than I do Mesa.
    No one company’s fault or anything. It’s just the reality of things. We are able to easily buy anything in the planet these days. Checking it out in a store is a whole other matter. Making the right decision is hard enough if you could A/B two amps live. It is much harder when you can’t. Therefore, reputation as well as other factors must figure in. Buying from someone with a good return policy doesn’t hurt either. For me, Mesa beats out Fender in reputation. That’s why it would be my choice for an amp where I had to make my livelihood. That not being the case, I could go with other amps for different reasons.

foldgerz likes this.
  16. Another vote for the Mesa D800. Killer sounding amp.

lermgalieu likes this.
  17. I think the Mesa D800 (non plus) would tick all your boxes, with the exception of rackmount, although I have seen others do it easily enough with aftermarket ears.

18. I guess I should give you a little more than that.

I owned the D800 (not the D800+) for a couple of years. It is a beast. TONS of tone shaping available on the EQ. The Deep switch is magic.....it really adds a lot to the bottom end without making your sound muddy.

The amp will also run down to 2 ohms which you won't find on a lot of other amps in it's price range.

Reliability-wise, never had a problem with it, but when I did direct questions to Mesa they always responded within a few hours. In general, customer service from Mesa is excellent.

lermgalieu likes this.
  19. FMBassist

FMBassist

Nov 27, 2017
    Milford PA
    Ampeg PF800. 800 Watts and everything that you are looking for all for 600 bucks brand spanky new.

20. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I like the mesa d800 and quilter bass block. The quilter is my main head right now, beating out some big name competition. I play rock, pop and country, and it just sounds big and warm, like it doesn't weight 4 lbs. No need for a rack, just an included man purse with 800 watts of whoop%&&. D800 is more versatile, though, imho, but for my stuff, quilter wins.