1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help!! Amp hum!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Samboat, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Samboat

Samboat

Feb 2, 2018
    Houston
    I have a solid state amp that gets a grainy hum or hiss when it's turned on.

It is NOT a ground loop issue (I've experienced those before).

So, when I have my amp turned on, there's an audible hiss that I can't get rid of. It used to be silent (When I first got it, used) and the noise crept in. I've taken it to multiple houses, tried different outlets in the house and the same sound is there.
    I've listened through the headphone out and through a normal cab and the sound is worse through the cab.
    I've tried different basses, cables, and no bass/cable.
    I've tried turning the gain to 0.

Nothing. I've tried everything I can think of.

Any idea why an amp would have this happen?

I have an old combo amp that does the same thing but much worse, but it was sitting for a long time before I got it, and presumably the dust or something is what I thought caused that 7 years ago when I first started playing

2. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    I think that if you were to post this same thread in this forum you'd get a better response faster:
    Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]

This is a forum for recording equipment and it's very slow here.

Samboat likes this.
  3. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    Or maybe this forum:
    Amps and Cabs [BG]

I don't know exactly which one is best because I'm new here. Either way either of those forums is definitely going to be better than here.

Edit: it looks like Amps and Cabs is the right place to me.

Samboat likes this.
  4. Samboat

Samboat

Feb 2, 2018
    Houston
    Thank you! I wasn’t sure which forum would be best :)

5. Samboat

Samboat

Feb 2, 2018
    Houston
    Any idea how to move my forum from one to the other?

6. guts

guts

Aug 13, 2018
    You got me. I would just copy past it and post it again. I don't think anyone will get mad.

7. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Ask a mod to move it.

You should be clear, is it a hiss or a hum because you used both terms and they are very different noises.

Also you might say what kind of amp it is...

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021