HELP! amp is sparked and blown up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kismub, Feb 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Hello, I got used Fender rumble 100 V3 (Newer one) on 22 Jan and just keep it because I had no basses at that time.

Yesterday, I got a new bass (active bass) and plug in and play about 5 minutes. After that, all of my room's electricity is shut down and I smell some burning inside the amp. The room fuse box is off too.

At that time, I wasn't sure that this happens by the amp. So, I tried one more time. I reset my room's switch and turn on the amp again, and I saw some sparks inside the amp.

So, I asked the seller to return it but he said he tested before shipping and everything was fine at that time. Also, he said, for a few minutes, the amp was worked so it's my fault.

I am not sure it's my fault. Anyway, I tried to find fuses on my amp to check it disconnected or not, but I can't find any fuses.

So, I will stop by a local repair shop. Do you know how much it will cost? Or, should I go to Fender authorized shop to fix the amp? The closest authorized repair shop is 2 hrs away from my place.

Thanks,

2. A local repair shop can probably help you. There’s no way of knowing the cost until the problem is diagnosed.

kismub likes this.
  3. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    You are correct, thanks!

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

i can only add good luck with the repair. I hope it doesn’t cost you too much.

kismub likes this.
  5. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    If the amp is under warranty and an unauthorized repair show works on, the warranty is void. There is no way that you can return the amp to the seller. If you open the amp, you are keeping the amp. You have to be careful with what you admit to the seller.

The seller is throwing the problem back in your lap. They can not blame you for the fault. It is just easier for them to say that. It is possible that the amp was fine when it was shipped. Things can happen during shipping, that is down to the carrier. But unfortunately you are past that at this point.

6. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    The amp should be under warranty shouldn't it ?

The Rumble series comes with a 5 year warranty if purchased before January 1st 2017 and a two year warranty January 1st 2017 onward.

The warranty is transferable.

Ask the seller if he is the original owner and if he registered the amp when he bought it.

7. lowplaces

lowplaces Got Punch ?

Dec 20, 2015
    Louisville Kentucky
    Just go here and select Virginia as your state and find the closest service center.
    Service Centers

Call Fender support Monday and tell them your issue. Have the serial number ready. And also don't tell them you opened the amp up.

And again see if the seller is the original owner and if so, ask him if he registered the amp when he bought it. If he did buy it new ask him if he would at least email you a copy of the receipt. They may need a copy of it at the service center.

kismub and BadExample like this.
  8. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Thank you all, I really appreciate it!
    I asked the seller to send me a receipt. I'll post the result!

lowplaces and BadExample like this.
  9. Smelling burning in the amp would tip off anyone with any life experience to the amp being blown and causing the power outage. At that point you are kinda at fault for powering it back up after it managed to trip your breaker.

murphy likes this.
  10. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    I also ordered power amp/SMPS module. Luckily, I found a new one on eBay ($45). If the problem is only at power parts, it will be fixed with the new power module. If I blew up the other parts too, the repair cost will be very high. In this case, I should buy a new amp..

Attached Files:

11. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    The parts have arrived. It looks exactly same, so I changed it and turn it on....then again, I fried my amp.
    I will go to repair shop...

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    As I say again and again... without a proper diagnosis to identify the actual problem with an amp, it's not likely that the repair attempt will be successful.

You have to correctly identify the problem before you can fix it!

ddnidd1, Rich Fiscus, dbase and 2 others like this.
  13. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Thanks,
    I asked a local guy and he said if the price is $200 (I bought it at $200), it's better to buy another one.
    So now I am considering to change it as a cabinet and buy another head.

murphy likes this.
  14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I guess you know now what you need to do.

15. If I’m reading this right, you played an amp for 5 minutes, then it fried and blew a breaker. Then your amp tech reset the breaker and tried again—frying the amp a little more. Then, your amp tech replaced a costly power supply in the, as still, yet undiagnosed amp, and fried it a third time?

I do not believe your amp tech is qualified to diagnose or repair this, or any amp. Take it somewhere qualified.

16. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    Thanks, I will go to the other guy to show him.

17. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

The OP bought the stuff and put it in himself. These amps are fused right? Unless the cord is shorted right where it enters the chassis I find it very strange that a 15 amp room breaker tripped. Did you buy this on ebay? If so I would start a complaint either for the shipper or for the seller although it is a little late but at least worth a try.

lowplaces likes this.
  18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I suspect that there's a little more to this story that we do not know.

19. kismub

kismub

Dec 3, 2017
    Blacksburg, VA
    At first, I requested to return but the buyer refused because he said the amp is worked for the first few minutes. Also, it's my fault anyway, I didn't check the condition when I first got the amp. The more important thing is that even I am not 100% sure that this is seller's fault. Also, I disassembled the amp to see what happened, this is my second fault. Lastly, I think I can fix this so I ordered power module (PCB) and change it, this is my last and biggest fault. So I am not sure the seller would accept the return. I know it's my bad. So I want to fix it myself. I got an original receipt from the buyer. Maybe I can send it to Fender authorized repair center. But technically, the warranty is transferable if I bought the amp before 2017 even though they don't really know when I bought this used amp.

20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    We all learn things from our past mistakes. An life lesson can be expensive but you hopefully move forward.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022