1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP* Amp shut off when I plugged it in.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bolg55, Feb 14, 2013.

1. bolg55

bolg55

Feb 23, 2011
    So I was going to practice today at home- as I normally do.. My set up is as follows:

Acoustic B600H plugged into a power strip (power strip is also currently powering my 1pot- but only a tuner, and 2 pedals) this is plugged into the wall, along with my mixer. Iphone, mic, and di from amp head are all run through mixer into my headphones.

I have set up like this a number of times, but today as soon as I turned the power on my amp on- it shut itself off and would not come on again. I figured I had overloaded something and maybe blew a fuse...but when I unplugged everything and then plugged the amp directly into the wall, and put the mixer in the power strip (I.E I just switched the two around) I turned the amp on and everything worked as normal... I'm at a loss as to what caused this, but if anybody has any insight it would be appreciated as I would like to avoid this happening again. Thanks.

2. Sounds like your power strip is over loaded or not grounded.

I wouldn't make it a habit of plugging amps into power strips. Sure people do it all the time without negative effects, but You could be limiting your amp by doing so

3. bolg55

bolg55

Feb 23, 2011
    If I had to guess, I would say it's more likely overloaded than not grounded. As long as I didn't harm my amp, I can re-work my set-up so I don't have it all going to the same spot (stupidity on my end) thanks for the reply :)

4. Startup current of the amp may have tripped the strip's breaker.