1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help: Ampeg 810E cab, GK 1001rb,...Aguilar AG 500SC?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassometer, Nov 23, 2010.

1. I have a GK 1001 RB and an SVT 810E cab (a newer one, the speakers read "Eminence, made in China"). I play a 2008 American Standard five string Jazz. I am having troubles getting a good tone, in fact I can't really get anything good out of this set up.

I often play with the bridge pick-up featured, I like that burpy sound, I run the bridge pu full, the neck at 50% and the tone at 70%. This is a main staple for me however on this set-up (GK & 810E) it sounds dull.

I also play with both pick-ups at 100% and the tone either full or at 80%. This sounds muddy with this amp/cab combo.

Now here is the good thing - this cab rocks, the bottom is tight, for a cab with stamp steel basket drivers it really impresses me, it can really take a lot of power and seems very effecient. Is it my imagination but do these cabs lack clarity?

I like the feel of my Jazz Bass, some say the pick-ups are less than "to be desired", they sound good to me. I'd like to hear everyone's oppinion, please chime in, what are your thoughts on the cab, head and bass?

I have the chance to but an Aguilar AG 500SC - will this make things better? what are your thoughts on this? I once read a thread on Talkbass by a member named "Kjung", he seemed to know everything about Aguilar AG 500's, very knowledgeable.

I also have the opportunity to purchase a Mesa Boggie Bass400+, are these any good??? I have heard they are bright sounding - this might be good with this cab?

I oncle played a late model (2009) Jazz bass (maple neck) through an Eden 410 xlt and a Time Traveler 405 head - set flat with 20% enhance, I was blown away by the tone, it was awesome, how do I get this tone from my 810???

2. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Hmmm...the GK is anything but muddy. Very clean amp in my experience - it's what I've used for the last several years. And, the Ampeg fridge is an industry standard and there are a ton of folks that play a jazz through it with great tonal success. Sans anything being wrong with the cab or things of that sort, I have two ideas...

1. Invest in a VT Bass pedal or, better yet, a Sansamp RBI. Although I just sold my RBI, I had previously swore I'd never part with it (I did part with it after finding a great tone and MUCH smaller rig in a Markbass combo). The RBI will really "wake" things up. Plus, if you're wanting that ampeg tone, the RBI will get you close as will the VT Bass.
    2. Buy an SVT. It will compliment that cab better than probably anything.

However, in the end the setup you have may not be what you're looking for. Chances are you'll do just like the rest of us and try different combos of amps, cabs, pre's, pedals, etc. and find something you like - for awhile. At least until you hear this bass or that cab or that amp. It's a process that, in the end, is almost neverending for most. Ain't it fun?!?!

3. what are your thoughts on the Aguilar AG500SC?

4. Hey Clam,

The 8X10E might seem to lack clarity in your mind as it does not have any horns and is just 4 sealed 2X10's stacked on top of each other in one cabinet. I have no idea what you are trying to achieve tone wise, but for some reason I don't think you are trying to go the Ampeg direction at all.

I play a P-bass through a G-K 1001RB ii (Or a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400) into an SLM era 8X10E, I love it. I used to own a Jazz and I know that I could get close to sounding like a P if I put it on the neck PU, I don't know if this is something you want to do, but at least try it to know what I am talking about. I find the G-K sterile compared to the Mesa which is really smooth. Both are good heads but I like the MESA better, when I do use the G-K I do use a Tech 21 VT BASS Pedal, I am a fan of tube amps and the traditional Ampeg tone.

I am not going to comment on the Aggie since I have never played one, but will point out you would lose 200 watts ... Something to think about. I would not hesitate to buy a Mesa 400+ it could be the best head you ever use in your life, and in time if you find the 8X10E to not be clear enough, I highly recommend some MESA Power House cabs, these will get the sound you want better than Eden, IMHO. Let me know if I am way out on this. Cheers.

5. Some people say that the GK1001rb will sound great with any cab but it sounds better with certain cabs more than others - usually cabs with a hifi voicing sound good to me.

A large sealed cab often sounds choked and muddy with some amps in my experience, especially some solid state amps, my Orange sounded pretty dire with a sealed 810.

Really your just taking another risk with the Aguilar AG 500SC and expecting it to sound better, actually playing through this amp into a fridge is the only way to find out if it works.

6. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Man I play my 1001rb II Through an SWR megoliath and it is the farthest thing from muddy...Very clean very loud!! I have found for my self that GK Heads and SWR cab make a killer setup...And I am not the only one...i have seen alot of people with the same setup. I am Not a ampeg fan by any stretch...never liked them and never will. I have however been run gk heads for the past 10 years whether it be th 800,700,1001 MkI or the latest 1001rbII and one thing i have to say is they are not MUDDY!! same gose for the swr cabs.. Very clean tight punch....I guess what people call hifi!!.. I would be looking at some different cab I were you IMHO!! Best of Luck Cheers Mate!!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i really like the newer 810e's with the chinese eminences. i think they're clear as a bell but they don't have tweeters so you don't get those ultra-highs past 5k. fine by me...but sounds like you're wanting the tweeter.