1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help, Ampeg ba210sp on the fritz

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ogamiItto, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ogamiItto

ogamiItto

Sep 13, 2008
    detroit
    so i'm grooving through my ampeg ba210sp combo and all of a sudden the speaker cuts out (not a faulty instrument cable or input jack anywhere). we cut the jam short, come back a few days later and it works fine...for about 4 minutes. several days later, just as i'm about to lug it into my saturn to take it to get repaired, it plug it in and the sumbitch is working fine. i take it in anyways. the repair shop has it for 2 weeks and can't get it to replicate the problem. plug it in and start to jam, but then it fritzed out after another short session. what is the deal? the power remains on, but the speaker just disengages.

any ideas?

2. Sounds like a thermal/short limit switch engaging.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    The next time it acts up, try plugging a guitar cord between your effects send and return jacks. Let us know if this suddenly corrects the malfunction.

4. ogamiItto

ogamiItto

Sep 13, 2008
    detroit
    thanks for the suggestion, but there is no effects loop on the amp. it has all these cheesy built-in effects so i guess ampeg decided they didn't need an effects loop. the only other 1/4" jacks are for the headphones and footswitch. there's also two jacks for rca audio cables. i don't know if any of that makes a difference.

5. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Check and see if it has a cooling fan. If it does it has probably quit working. I have a B2R with this same calamity. Amp gets hot and shuts off, let it cool a while and it comes back, play a little and it shuts off.

Replace the fan and you just might be good to go. Looks like a computer fan except it is 24 volt.

Digi-Key part number P9741-ND and they are cheap.

Check it out.