Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help:Ampeg BXT410 Clacking Noise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Vega, Nov 11, 2005.

1. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Hi all!
    I have a BXT410 and there is some clacking sound coming out from the horn.

I have to turned down, but without the horn, this cab do not sound good to me.

Can be the horn blown, or the crossover?

help please :help:

2. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    Chances are it's the horn. Pull the panel on the rear, and check the leads that go to the horn just to make sure. The x-over is very simple, couple of caps and an inductor....two bulbs for "protection".

If all the wires are secure, order a new horn and replace the blown one. How old is the cabinet? Is there still warranty?

That may be an option also.

3. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks!! Do I need to order this horn directly from ampeg, or can find a replacement someplace else?

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The horn could be bad. Then it obviously needs to be replaced.

You could be clipping the amp, in which case the horn may be simply reproducing nasty sounds.
    If you don't want to turn down or adjust limiter, maybe adjusting the EQ might allow you to get the high end you want from the cones. They have a slightly softer tonality that won't reproduce clipping noises as loudly.
    Horns and clipping is a bad combination.

There could be a loose wire going to the horn, which might make that sort of noise also. Find it and fix is the solution to that.

Which it is I can't tell from here....

If it is the horn, that is a Foster-type horn which is widely available. Several manufacturers have horns of that size, and you should be able to get one from a source closer to you. But of course we or our distributor can get you one.

Don't forget the warranty, in case that is still in effect on your speaker.

5. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    Jerrold, does a person order parts from Ampeg or SLM? I would actually like to get a couple spare horns and a couple bulbs for spares. The dealer is an idiot so please don't reccomend that.

6. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    You can just call the same SLM Service number 1 800 738 7563 and they will take care of it.

The dealer is a good choice IF the dealer is reasonable.... but......

If you do call, you might mention the dealer issues you have, can't hurt.

If the dealer is a service center, and doesn't handle service in a reasonable manner, they would want to know that.

7. specplyrz

specplyrz Banned

Nov 11, 2005
    "If you do call, you might mention the dealer issues you have, can't hurt.

If the dealer is a service center, and doesn't handle service in a reasonable manner, they would want to know that"

An EXCELLENT suggestion. Ampeg needs to know this so they can fix any dealer/customer problems.

8. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    ok! cables checked, no one is loose, so horn replacement coming!

I also have this sound when a let the strings open sustain, like open E or open A, B

Where I cuold find that horn ? what about cut off frequency, or any spec for this replacement?

jerrold, any input please?
    thanks

9. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I missed the Puerto Rico location.... I will have to find out if you have an importer or if that is considered same as US..... That question also affects our ability to work with your local dealer directly.

In any case, the horn IS available from Ampeg, and if your local people don't handle it well, you can write or call the service department here. Inside the US, the number I gave above is a no-charge call. I don't know how that works from Puerto Rico.

The service folks can get you the right part, and are familiar with all sorts of shipping.

The horn itself is a standard type 8 ohm horn of the type made by "Foster", rated around 20W (much more with the crossover) and with a range from around 4000Hz up. They are widely available, and may be available from other sources also, locally to you, internet sellers, etc. There are several similar parts made as well.

10. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    jerrold
    thanks for your help. The local Ampeg dealer (Villa Muisc) sucks. Their service is the worse. I ask regarding the horn this week, and they do not have a clue, they dont say to call Ampeg.

THe number for Puerto Rico is OK and I already buy some 10" speaker replacement for the BXT410 directly to Ampeg SLM, SLM know me!! :)

I do a search over the internet and I find a couple os stores, but those horns do not look like the one installed.

Is there a number , name additional to Foster?

thanks for the specs also.

thanks

11. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I sent you a PM....

12. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhh :mad:

Change the thing inside the horn, still having a distorted sound!!!

It is the crossover that is damage then?

what else? :mad: :confused:

13. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    please help!! :help: any?

14. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    any help?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    helppppppppppppp
    please

16. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    help!!!!!!!!!!auxilio!!!!!!!!!!!! :help:
    ayuda!!!!!!!!!!!!
    change the thing inside the horn, stil having the distorted sound, could be the crossover?

17. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I pLay P- Bass with active EMG's. The horn in my 410 HE cab was making a crackling noise that I couldn't track down. After much troubleshooting, I lowered the pickups in the bass. My guess is I was clipping the high freqs and the horn was just reproducing that sound. Have you tried your cab with a different bass?

18. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    yes. I have a Lakland skyline 55-02, same problem

19. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    As I mentioned in a PM, sure, there could be a crossover problem.

If the crossover has a loose connection on the coil, for instance, there could possibly be too much low frequency coming to the horn. That would make the sort of noise your describe, since the horn diaphragm would be moving too far.

It COULD be clipping, but you have investigated that, and you don't think that is it. Your PLX1202 does have a limiter, although I don't know how fast it acts. Some limiters let through peaks, and limit after a short delay, so possibly there are peaks of clipping that are getting through before the limiter acts.

Beyond that, possible loose connections elsewhere in the speaker?

The problem is not knowing for sure if the noise is being "produced" by the speaker, or if it is a high frequency already in the signal, and is being "re-produced" by the horn.

I don't recall if you had tried another speaker that has a horn also. Did you?

20. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    I have a Avatar 410 cab, I tested. no horrible sound. I connect the BXT and when I turn the volume of the horn half way, I can hear that sound. I listen to each speaker and horn, the sound is coming out the horn. The thing is buying a crossover and spend money, at this time a dont know where to look. I replaced two of those speaker because were blown, I dont know if that have to do with this issue. I test the speaker for pahse issues, and they are ok, all moving at the same time.

thanks for any help!