1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HELP!! AMPEG SVT 1973 PARTS NEEDED!! Fuse cap/holder and rear grille

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrGump, May 19, 2004.

  1. MrGump


    Apr 20, 2000
    Hopefully someone in the Talk Bass community can help me.I have a 1973 SVT Head thats "my baby"-I havent used it in years.When I went to do so,I noticed the cap that holds the fuse in was gone!I need a replacement or I need to replace the whole fuse holder.(yucch)
    Does anyone have a "parts SVT"?
    Also,the only thing that stops this amp from being truly "mint"is it has a hole in the rear screen.So Im looking for one of those too.
    two front-top metal corners would be nice also.
    I am willing to pay a more than fair price,and the freight.
    I have a buyer for this head,and cant demo it.
    Finding a fuse cap would be much cheaper and faster than bringing it in to a tech to get the whole fuse holder replaced.
    Ive already tried "fliptops .com"
    Any help or suggestions are more than welcome!! Thanks
  2. Rickenbackerman


    Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    A '73 SVT shouldn't have metal corners on the top front.

    As far as a rear grill, I think you'd have to find a nice piece of perforated sheet stock and cut it to size, then get some cord holders from fliptops.

    For a fuse holder, go to www.tubesandmore.com. The "fender style" one should work.
  3. lo-freq

    lo-freq aka UFO

    Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    If you have further questions or problems, PM TB'er "Psycho Bass Guy". He can probably point you in the right direction.
  4. MrGump


    Apr 20, 2000
    I actually was hoping PBG would see this thread.I havent signed on in almost a year and didnt know if he was still around.Ive had some interesting(all good) conversations with him in the past.
    As far as the front corners go-YOUR RIGHT! Im getting old and the memory is foggy from too much acid,back in the day.
    As far as buying a whole fuse holder,Ive found and can get installed many that will work.Im trying to avoid the trip to the Tech and find a cap to fit mine.
  5. I'm still around. I just keep hours that are making even more insane. Anyhow, Rickenbackerman is steering you in the right direction on the grille; it will be easier to make a new one than find a decent used one. You can use a fuse holder from Rat Shack if you don't want to have to order one. They're actually halfway decent.
  6. MrGump


    Apr 20, 2000
    Hey nice to hear from you!Although thats not what I wanted to hear!
    Since I dont have the fuse cap,and dont remember what it looks like,maybe you could tell me so I know how to describe it.
    I was told by Jess there were two types one held on by two screws and the other was Bayonnet.I believe I had the bayonnet.Cause I dont think one with two screws would fall out like this.
    The part of the fuse holder that sticks out of the chassis is round and black,and has a "horseshoe"(almost) shaped copper tube holding the fuse.
    At least it looks horseshoe shaped when viewing into the tube.(croossection)
    it kind of looks like an automotive circlip.
    Was the fuse cap a round black flat piece of plastic about the size of a nickel,with nothing but a small slot for a screwdriver or coin to turn it?
    Did it say fuse or Ampeg or nothing?like other ampegs.
    Any help as always is greatly appreciated.
  7. From my '73 SVT:
  8. MrGump


    Apr 20, 2000
    GREAT!!! Thanks so much for the pictures!! Dont mean to sound corny or anything,but thats really a nice thing you did! Going to the effort of shooting pictures and posting them!! Hope your thoughtfulness comes back to you threefold,like they say!
    By the looks of it that fuse cap threads(screws in) in correct?My fuse holder doesnt seem to have matching threads in it,so Im wondering if mine may be different??
    Im going to check a couple of old (different model)Ampeg chassis Ive had in the garage and see what I come up with! I'll let ya know.Thanks again!
  9. Correct. It threads in. And on mine, the threads inside the holder are very apparent due to them being a metal "insert" (like a Heli-Coil).

    Also I just noticed that the holder itself (not the fuse) has the "Buss" brand name inscribed.

    If you find a source, let us know.
  10. MrGump


    Apr 20, 2000
    exactly what I needed to know.Thanks again! I have the correct fuse cap from an ancient chassis I had.Apparently my "heli-coil" or the female part of this package must have vanished with the original fuse cap.Now I need that!
    Funny you drew the "heli-coil" analogy.Ive been in the automotive field forever.And thats where Im going to try to find a female thread for my fuse holder,a good auto parts place.Then an electronics place.Hopefully I'll find one other than Radio Shack.I'll keep you posted on any progress.
    If anyone out there has even a whole holder to sell let me know!Thanks again!