Help amping a speaker cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morrisman1, Aug 11, 2009.

1. morrisman1

morrisman1 Guest

Aug 11, 2009
    Hi, im new here and this will probably be my only thread ever on this forum.

I have got a cabinet with 4 x P1231H 80w 8-ohm 12" speakers in it. I believe pairs are wired in series then the two series circuits are then in parallel, as the cabinet says the impedance is 8 ohm and that combination gives 8 ohm overall.

We need an amp to drive this for the purposes of a bass line for music rather than for amping a bass guitar. I found this amplifier module: http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=AA0509. Would that be suitable for driving the speakers?

as far as i can see it will be but im not experienced with wiring up speakers like that. the 600w at 4-ohm should approximately half at 8 ohm which about matches the combined speaker power but im guessing there. The amp module certainly has the features that i need, thats for sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:bassist:

2. why dont you just buy a normal power amp.

3. morrisman1

morrisman1 Guest

Aug 11, 2009
    bit out of my price range to get something big enough.

4. Even if you wired the cab to work as a single 4 ohm unit, which is not possible since the 4 drivers are 8ohm, you would damage the speakers because they are not able to handle 600w. Also if what you want is a subwoofer the 4X12" speakers won't IME give you the low frequencies a single 15" or 18" speaker could.
    I think it would be a better idea to sell the cab you have and buy a dedicated powered subwoofer. MAybe something like this might do the trick

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/American-Audio-PXW18P-18-Powered-Subwoofer?sku=601111

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/American-Audio-PXW15P-15-Powered-Subwoofer?sku=601110

5. morrisman1

morrisman1 Guest

Aug 11, 2009
    would the speakers not only receive about 300w as they are 8 ohm?

6. If you are going to use the amp to drive the whole cab at 8ohm you might get 300, 325w, your four speakers which are rated 80watts each can only handle 320w. I wouldn't use that cab since those watt ratings are always IME above of what the speakers can actually handle.

7. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    I poked around google w/the model # you show, and it looks to me like those are dedicated guitar speakers that would be insufficient for bass. You may be better off selling the cab and moving on to plan B.

8. morrisman1

morrisman1 Guest

Aug 11, 2009
    yea im going to do that, sounds like its not worth pissing around with the speaker cab. Thanks to everyone for their input, im going to vanish into thin air now!

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It would work fine if the only material going into the cab is below 100Hz, with separately amplified tops to handle everything above that. However, I can't say if the drivers you have in the cab are appropriate for that usage. Size alone is not an indicator of suitability.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021