1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help an effects hack find the Beat It bass sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by richntiff, Dec 18, 2017.

1. in the beginning - I know it’s synth bass - but does anyone have suggestions on how I can mimic that bass sound that you hear in the first few measures?? FWIW I have a Zoom MS-60B to make noises with...

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Take a look at your effect specs:

Modulation / Special effects
    "You'll find 14 different modulation and special effects here, all specially crafted for bass. These include phasing, flanging, chorusing, tremolo, detuning, and pitch shifting, as well as a sub-octave generator and an intelligent bass synthesizer that plays along in key—even a DeFret effect that changes the tone of a fretted bass into that of a fretless."

Check out the phasing and flanging.

3. In the original it might be a hybrid mix of real bass and a minimoog. So look for what you need to mimic a Minimoog. A low pass filter with resonance is a major ingredient.

Steve Lukather played the electric string bass on this tune:
    Michael Jackson - Thriller

4. Thanks both - knob tweaking will be in order I think.... I was hoping someone could point me a little more clearly, perhaps someone has already done it. I'm very new to effects - I mean, I can use a compressor sort of and know that chorus makes things sound cool. That's about my level lol!

Ryan L. likes this.
  5. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    If I wanted to recreate the "Beat It" bass sound, I would do this:

With a Pick (.88 Nylon) -> PJ Bass (Panned 75% to Neck, roll off some highs, boost some lows) -> Cog Nightfall (Overdrive, Medium Grit, Medium Blend) -> Bassist (Comp, low threshold, high compression)

Tweak all the above to taste. Since the guitar is doubling the line, I don't think you need any other modulation/octave effects. I think the bass instrument itself in Beat It just sounds killer and huge, so depending on your instrument, effects can only get you so far. I'd shoot for "close enough", not "exactly".

Good Luck

6. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    The stabs at the beginning I do with the bass synth wah

7. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I just palm mute the strings and pick with my thumb. Simple and works great.