1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help an effects noob out please.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by c5hokie, Feb 23, 2021 at 12:23 PM.

1. c5hokie

c5hokie Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2020
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry for what is probably a really basic question, but I'm just starting to investigate pedals/effects and changing my tone, and I'm not really sure what effects I'm hearing being used in certain songs. The band I'm in is playing The Racounteours Now That You're Gone, and I'm trying to figure out how to get that bass sound. I can turn the gain up on my amp (Ampeg PF-800) and get a little crunchiness, but nothing like what is in the recording.

Now That You're Gone

My understanding is that Jack Lawrence uses an SVT. So maybe it is just tube overdrive that I'm hearing. But is there more to it (distortion/fuzz/other)? And how do I approach emulation of this sound (I know I probably can't duplicate it with my amp).

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    He was using an EHX Micro Synth quite a bit before. Likely more than one signal path to keep some clean along side the “fuzz”.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 12:32 PM
  3. c5hokie

Apr 4, 2020
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks. I found where he was using an original RAT pedal too. Not sure if that is part of tone here or not.

Goatrope likes this.
  4. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Yeah, he’s used that and a Fulltone Bass Drive mosfet.

I think you could get to this song’s bass tone with any of the above.

c5hokie likes this.
  5. c5hokie

Apr 4, 2020
    Richmond, VA
    thanks Goat

Goatrope likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021