Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Ant Problem!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Jun 16, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    So I stayed up all night last night, and this morning at 5 AM I decided to step outside on the front porch to watch the sun come up. It is already sort of light out, and as I step out I see a black, moving mass. I look closer and it is a "puddle" of ants! I looked on the side of the house and I see literally lines of ants marching up and down the wall! They were on the doorframe, on the ground, everywhere! I then checked the inside corner near the front door, and sure enough, a trail of ants was inside, slowly making their way across the floor. I went back upstairs, and on the wall in the hallway I see several larger, winged ants. I took a swatter to em, but now I need some way to kill the invading critters. Anyone got any suggestions on how to rid the house of these ants? These are the small (1-2mm long) kinds with the winged ones being slightly larger.

2. i would spray them all down with raid or something like that, paying special attention to the holes they're coming out of. Then I would set some ant baits around. Y'know, the kind that are supposed to be able to kill off the whole colony or something like that. Or you could call an exterminator if the ants are too buff.

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Dont bother with bug sprays. Bugs are building up imunity too them way too quickly. Just seal off the way they're getting in and tsart stompin.

4. Time to bust out the magnifing glass!

5. Fire works good too.

6. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    You bunch of savages :spit:

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    propane torch, if they are not on something flammable, or something thast can be damaged by heat. I rigged up a cattle prod to zap them. Would probably work on a big puddle of them!

8. And the bad news is, Termites have wings too.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Spiders. Lots of them.

10. All the little ants are marching
    red and black antenna waving
    They all do it the sameeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    They all do it the sameeee wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

(sorry, i had to)

11. jgbass

jgbass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
    Well, this may sound stupid, but since it was mentioned that ants build up immunity to bug spray, I have had success with something as simple as spraying with the cleaning product Forumula 409. Easy less toxic way to get rid of them. They hate that stuff and it might keep them from coming back. . ;)

12. tilex™ tile and grout cleaner works best. dont get it in clothes tho. it has bleach.

13. if you wipe vinegar across the ant trails they get lost. do this after you kill them all.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    dude, I was just about to post this exact same thing.

15. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Haha, I had this problem about 2 years ago and it seemed no matter what I did there was a million more ants to replace the ones I killed with bug spray/bomb etc. SO, the best solution: Scrubbing Bubbles. Spray that stuff on the holes they're coming in and on the ones that are inside already and they just melt away. You can almost hear their screams, it's great...

16. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Vinegar and peppermint oil work well and they don't contain all the toxic poison chemicals that Raid and other garbage chemical sprays that pump carcinogens into your household do.

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    jazzbo, I have to ask - do you wear Birks? :D

18. Hmm... well I know someone who had this problem, but lucky for them, they were schedualed to move like in 1 week when the ants arrived.

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I was busy hugging a tree.

20. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, some of my best friends are trees!