1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP, Antiquity II's, Audere JZ3 and serious hum when the pups are soloed!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nicolay3535, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Nicolay3535

Nicolay3535

Sep 16, 2010
    South Florida
    I just recently acquired a Highway One Jazz from a fellow TBer and it came with seymour duncan Antiquity II pups (which I Love). I decided to install a pre amp the Audere JZ3. When I did, I realized that when whenever I solo the neck or bridge pup i'm getting an unreal amount of hum and hizz. Can anyone out there give me some ideas on how to deal with this problem before i take the bass to a tech and shoot out a bunch of money???

2. They are single coils, so that is perfectly normal.

3. Nicolay3535

Nicolay3535

Sep 16, 2010
    South Florida
    I figured, that. I just can't really take it. Any recomendations for anotherreplacement with a great tone for slap and finger style that are hum cancelling???

4. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Try DiMarzio Area J or Sadowsky HC. They are very similar pickups that sound pretty close to a single coil. You can thank me by selling me your Antiquity II set at a great price. :oops: ;)

5. I may have an Antiquity II bridge for sale in a couple of weeks, are you interested?

6. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Thanks, but I would want a set. I appreciate the offer. :)

7. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Do some searches on shielding your instrument here before you think about changing pickups.

8. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Shielding doesn't fix 60 cycle hum.

9. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Nordstrand nj4sv
    humbucking split coil 4 string jazz-type bass pickups

These are a split coil hum canceling design. This pickup is designed to have a tone as close as possible to the NJ4 single coils. They have a similar clarity and bottom, and have a good clean growl with the same interactive quality that all our alnico pickups are known to have. They are also totally humcancelling, and great for commonly noisy live situations.

10. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Where did you learn this?

11. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    [QUOTE="Q";9794734]Where did you learn this?[/QUOTE]Right here on this forum. I was once under the mistaken impression shielding fixed hum from single coils.

12. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Not to be too coy here but, someone should let the makers of shielded mains transformers in on this secret.