Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help!!! Anyone know anyone who can Install a pickup in the Chicago area (desperate)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JimmyD, May 31, 2004.

1. JimmyD

JimmyD

May 31, 2004
    Hi I'm new here...

My virgin soldering experience didn't go so well.

I picked up a Squier P-Bass that played well and attempted to toss a quarter pounder in it.

In the end I think I understand how to solder..... but.

Now there's solder all over the pot, and I have no idea what wires go where, and I feel that further experimentation at this point will only lead to total destruction.

(Why oh why didn't I make an electrical tape test run. :bawl:

Are there any guitar smiths in the chicago land area who could be reccomended to take care of this. Don't need a million dollar job, as this was a piss cheap instrument.

Still it would be heartbreaken to have to trash it, because it is actually a good playing instrument, with a tight neck binding etc....

If any of you in the Chitown area want to give it a whirl (for a fee of course), let me know

Thanks!!!!!!!

-J

2. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    You may be able to find the schematics online somewhere. There's not alot going on there as far as components and contact points.

3. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    jerry loy at player's guitar's in worth IL right on 115th street,best in town, don't have the number handy but their in the book

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Jimmy,
    Not sure where you're at, but if you're near the city or the north side, these places might be worth checking out:

Specimen Music
    Chicago Music Exchange
    Guitar Works in Evanston
    Make 'N Music

I've only really worked with Ian Schneller from Specimen (www.specimenmusic.com), and would recommend him over the others. The only problem is that he usually has a backlog of about a weeks worth of instruments and might not be able to attend to your issue quickly enough. Good luck, though.

5. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    PLAYERS GUITARS
    6961 W. 111st
    Worth, IL 60482
    708/671-0710

The best!!!