Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Ashdown ABM500 DI Problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kurkomat, Jul 22, 2002.

1. kurkomat

kurkomat

Aug 28, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Sorry folks, if this has been posted already, but I need help so here goes- I own an Ashdown ABM500 EVO amp. Sounds incredible. My one problem, though, is that the DI has a constant buzz when I'm running it into the house soundboard at gigs, or any type of recording equipment. The buzz from the DI is so significant that I have to simply mic my cab and that's it. Apparently this is a common problem, and here's Ashdown's response from their FAQ-

Q: I have a hum or buzz when using the DI output on my amp.
    A: Pin 1 is the earth on the Ashdown Di. If you expeariance earth hum on early non EVO models of Ashdown Bass amps you can simply remove the wire to Pin 1 either in your cable or in the amp (via your local service centre or qualified dealer).

Now, everything I've heard is that doing this is a BAD IDEA. TheYamaha Sound Reinforcement guide repeats several times that you can get a severe shock if you play through un-grounded gear. I've had several other people tell me the same. So, any suggestions anyone? I really want to start using my DI but I don't want to get knocked onto my butt during a gig! Thanks!

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Your amp is still grounded through the 3 prong plug going to the wall.

Basically you need a ground lift (I can't believe manufacturers are too cheap to put in a $.05 switch to do this nowadays). Rather than mess with the internals of the amp, you could wire up an adapter:

Get an XLR plug that fits into the DI (male) then wire only pins 2 and 3 to the other (female). The whole thing should be about 4-5 inches long.

If you get the buzz, plug the adapter into the DI and the line to to PA into the adater to see if lifting the ground helps.

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    so can you get zapped by using the ground lift switch on the back of your amp? i didn't think you could but i'd rather be safe than sorry. i don't want to fry my gear or my or my fuzzy beanbag so i'd better ask....

4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Make up the ground lift cable described above and you and your fuzzy beanbag will live long and prosper, along with your gear. If your soldering skills and patience aren't up to par, go to a shop and have a tech make it for you.

5. kurkomat

kurkomat

Aug 28, 2001
    Austin, TX
    great answers.... thanks!:cool: