Help! Ashdown MAGC210 vs Workingman's 12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Nov 20, 2004.

1. So many choices! I've got to scale down a little. Most of my playing now is in a contemp church setting, smallish room and my Eden Metro combo is just a little over kill. It's got great tone, more a hi-fi sound, shake the stage bottom end, but not quite what I want or need at the moment. I'm playing a Fender Zone 4 string and virtually all easy rock type contemporary worship music, some of which I think ranges from a contry rock flare to modern pop-rock. No slappin' here, and not a whole lot of fancy stuff. So, am looking for a clean, phat, tone, doesn't have to cut through a loud drummer, and a cab that's light enough to gig out here and there, like out at a coffee house. 1 don't want a 1x15 cab since I've never playing one I liked. Also, it's hard to go out and demo since I don't live near a big city and big music stores. Any suggestions?? I'm open!
  2. I have had both the ashdown EB 112 150 and the WM 112. I like the ashdown better.

Don't know why you would consider another 210 if you have the metro. You need to set parameters for yourself and this thread: max weight/price/driver size?

What's your budget?

I think you should check out the Phil Jones Bass Briefcase, then the GK MB150. Those Acoustic Image Contrabass COmbos look cool but are pricey and hard to find used.
  3. No, not if all 2x10's are created equal. I've played different cabs with same size drivers and they sound different, but not as different as going with some other size, so I get your point! It's only that the Ashdown seems like a better value for the same price, twice the power, but more weight. It's that the Eden is a little rough to handle alone... 85 lbs, that's about the only issue, with the secondary one that I seem to always be tweaking the eq's to try to get what I am looking for. I'm not too worried about budget. I could sell the Eden and find a smaller rig on ebay, no prob. The main reason I got the Eden in the first place was I had a friend who had one who played in a metal band with a 5-string and the thing really cut through. That impressed me, and I went out and bought one myself, without too much forethought. It's been way more than I have needed ever since.
  4. The Eden Metro should fetch 700-1000 easily depending on age/condition. But you are not going to be easily impressed after you part with that.
  5. Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. And then once it's sold, it's gone. So find a gorilla to tote it around! heh. My first (starter) amp was a 100 watt Crate combo. I threatened to take a sledge hammer to that one, but sold it for a decent price instead!
  6. I´m a fan of 12" speakers and I think EBS Drome would fit your situation perfectly. It´s a great amp and only weighs 17 kg (little over 40 lbs, I think). It might be over your budget, but perhaps eBay can help...
  7. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I have a MAGC210 and I love it. It's heavy, though. Even then, the heavy weight's reassuring to me. Makes me think "solid. Can survive moves and semi-rough gigs."

I played a Workingman's 12 on numerous occasions at a music store when buying a bass. I must say, that little amp sounds awesome. Even when I used sloppy technique, the amp made me sound good. Plus, it's not back-breakingly heavy.

The only caveat with SWR gear is that it can be pricey and you can get more powerful amps with more bells and whistles for the price.

I've played some small Ampeg combos that sound awesome too.
  8. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    In my failing quest to find nice warm sounding, well built combo under $700, I tried out the ashdown MAG210 combo, and the MAG115 combo. I have to say I was dissapointed in both. They both seem underpowered and the speakers just seem cheap.
    I haven't tried the WM12, but the newer WM15 just plain stinks. The sound is so sterile and thin. And the build quality is suspect.
    I want portability, but I gues its back to the head and cab .
  9. Yeah, see the deal with my current Eden combo is this thing's built rock solid, perhaps even (I don't know) because it's even from the pre-buyout days. But in any case, it's solid. I worry with some of the newer stuff. I was in a music store the other day and saw some of the cheaper amps were sourced from China. Toothbrushes and toasters, fine, but bass gear, no way.