Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP Avatar 2x12 or 4x10 cab???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by da5785, May 20, 2004.

1. da5785

da5785

May 19, 2004
    i'm buying the behringer ultrabass 3000t or whatever unless some one else has a nice bass head amp for $250 or cheaper, i'm really in need. Also i was gonna go with the 4x10 cab, but then i heard it can't hit the low stuff too well, I only have a 4 string, but i like to feel the bass when i'm standing in front of my amp. I've always wanted a 4x10 halfstack, but if 2x12 cab is gonna give me more bass like loudness, then it's best to go with that. I just joined a rockin emo band, and i play bass at church a lot. I have a workingman's 15 for sale $360 OBO that i use right now

is it worth it for me to get the 4x10 and later get a better amp and a 15 to go under it, or just get the 2x12 stack since it'll be stand alone for the next few months????? i need help in this decision!! does the 4x10 really not hit very low? it's it bass u can feel or just stuff u can hear?

2. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    I just got both the 2x12 and 4x10 avatar cabs

The 4x10 is SUPER punchy
    the 2x12 has more of a smooth tone to it
    So far i love the 410 , but combined...ohh quite a rumble : )

i may be able to record a lil sample using the 410, 212, and then combined if you would like

I run it threw a G-K 1001RB

Cheers
    PB

feel free to AIM me at URBANxSTRIKE if ya got any questions about em : )

3. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I would say get the 410 at first, and if you feel the need for more lows add a 15 or 212 later. The 212 will give you lows and punch. And should suffice for a stand alone depending upon the mix of your band and the volume of which you play.

Peace
    -Ben

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you use a 4-banger,,, get the 4x10. If you play a 5-string,,, get the 212 as everything I've read suggests it handles the B ALOT better.

5. Well, the 2x12 should be fine during practice. You'd just have to be careful when you are playing a place that isn't large enough to run you through the PA

6. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    Either should be fine. 410's are going to put out more volume and have more punch and note definition. 212 with give you more bottom end (boom!). Personally, if it's only between those two, I'd go with the 410.

7. da5785

da5785

May 19, 2004
    nice. well, looks like imma get the 4x10, i'm sellin stuff on ebay and my workinman's 15 combo for $360, and i'll go even lower!! it's in excellent condition if u know anyone that needs one. thanks for your replies!

8. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    if ya got any jazz bass parts, or nice planks of hardwoods, ill buy somne : P

9. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'm runing the same cabs with a Hartke 4000...400 watts at 4 ohms...how is that G-K doing with'em? How many watts?

10. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    it sounds pretty damn nice

the G-K head is a 700 watt (at 4 ohms ) main with a 50 amp bi-amp (im gonna try to set up the horn in it to run off the 50 amp part pretty soon, so maybe get a crisper high end from it )

the old distortion pedal i hated threw my old amps sounds pretty good threw it all also, thats is if you crank the horn all the way off.

cheers
    PB

11. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'm only a year into this so...is the G-K plenty loud enough for average bar type gigs? You think the Hartke would be also? I'm thinking of getting an Ampeg SVT 4 Pro that had its price reduced the other day. also. Seems like that would do the trick for anything.

12. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    the hartke 400 would be fine

the g-k 1001 is a bit overkill, a 700RB would be fine. Personaly i wouldnt go below 300 watts, just so you have power when you need it.

If i were to go for just a "bar rig" id go as so

GK-700RB
    or

I havent played threw Hartke, but ive herd so many mixed reviews on them, you may wanna check out the behinger (sp) series of amp heads, there supposed to be great for the money.

Avatar cabs are also killer for there cost, i wouldnt gofor anything else if were to re buy

13. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    2X12 sounds great as a stand alone. There is a place for the 4X10, but the 2X12 has much better low end. Has the girth of a 1X15 (compared to 10's) but faster response than a 1X15. In my blues band, that is what I am after.

14. Just comparing tone for tone sake, I prefer 2x12's. They just have a better overall balance. However I think 4x10's will give you more volume given the same amount of power. Everything is a trade off.