Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help!!! Avatar 4x10KappaPro vs. 4x10 Neo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BottomBeast, Mar 9, 2006.

1. KappaPro 4x10

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Neo 4x10

18 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Hey, i am going to purchase a 4x10 from avatar, just not quite sure which one. i will be running an active Traben Kore bass (4 string, usually tuned down a whole step, occasionally down as far as C) through a Kustom Groovebass amp (1200 watts @ 2ohm). I will be using a 1x15 cab with a 4ohm KappaPro speaker in addition to the 4x10. I like a crisp clear heavy low end, but i also have to cut through an insane driummer and 2 loud guitars. This is for live applications by the way. Any advice would be appreciated, doesn't even have to be advice, just your thoughts. Thanks in advance!:help:

2. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Just kiddin. A friend of mine who is a monster on bass and has thousands of dollars of high end gear including speakers has the 210 Neo and loves it. Your back will love you too. He did say, though, that it took a while for the woofers to loosen up and start to bloom. Good luck.
    Tom H.

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I use a 4ohm B410 neo as a stand alone cab. Overall, i think it was the best purchase I have made yet when it comes to cabs. This thing is truely unbelievable at the price it is sold for. I highly recommend it. And the fact that it only weighs in at about 65lbs doesn't hurt either.

4. thanks for the responses, what are the advantages of the neo besides weight?

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Defineatly , go with the Kappa Pro. Handles much more power, and look at the Theil specs on them. They go way lower, and will be indestructable. A cab that will last your lifetime. Eminence is in the process of changing those Neo's all to a newer model, must be for a reason. I won't trust them till they have been out for at least 5 years, myself. Good Luck!!

6. Hmm... now i'm not sure - seems like there is a major difference in opinion here. I play in a thrash band, with two freakin loud guitar players, so i definately want to get the most power out of my rig that i can, and i see that the cab with the kappa pro's handles alot more power (i've blown speakers so the lightweight neo's are somewhat of a concern). I have read that the neo's have "better low frequency response" though, but i have also heard the main difference between the two is that the neo is lighter, the pro is louder. Is this making any sense?

7. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Look at the specs on these! The Kappa's definately have better low end figures than the Neo's. Look at what's called the FS. Thats where the speaker falls off by 3db. Best thing would be to ask Bill Fitzmaurice. He's the man with the real answer on this for you. He does this for a living. Very knowledgable person.

8. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    OOPS I checked the specs, and you are right , the Delta lites do go a little lower than the Kappa Pros. But I'd still go with the Kappas. Just because they handle so MUCH more power. You can push them with any wattage, because of the effiency, and can always get a more powerfull amp as time goeson, and this cab is a lifetime lasting type of cab. A purchase that will last years.

9. I am definately leaning towards the Kappas due to the power handling (plus I already have a Kappa 15 to go with it). It seems however that every forum I go to it's neo-neo-neo, and I'm really trying to figure out why.

10. thanks everyone for all the useful info!

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Go Neos. Joe's comparing fs but not the Qts. The Kappa is a PA midbass driver, very efficient, but with a low Qts it's very bass-shy, even a Beta 10 beats it badly. fs and f3 are related, but are not the same thing. In a 1.5 cu ft box the 2510 f3 is 70Hz, the Kappa Pro f3 is 160Hz. That's over an octave differential. Yes, the Kappas handle more power, you'll need it, they'll require twice the amp size to get the same output. For a 4x10 the best driver option is the new S2010. Good response, minimal weight, and 600 watts is plenty.

12. WHAT DIMENSIONS ARE YOUR CAB? THINKING ABOUT GETTING A 4X10 CAB AND ALLREADY HAVE A RAW KAPPA PRO. WANTING TO BUILD A CAB FOR IT. OR CAN SOMEONE DIRECT ME TO WHERE I CAN FIND PLANS FOR SUCH A CAB. THANKX

13. hmm...so i should get a better low end from the neo's? i've looked at the s2010, but avatar does not make a cab with them (and I'm on a tight budget)., so it's Kappa Pro or Neo. I am going to run it with a 1x15 Kappa Pro Cab too, so I think I should get plenty of bottom end. But it would be nice to bring only one cab for smaller venues, and it's looking like the Neo would be a better stand alone cab I guess. I've gone back and forth, back and forth. The one thing I am concerned about is the power handling: my amp is 1200 watts @ 2 ohms, could this possibly blow the Neos?

14. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Avatar's neos are custom too, with greater xmax which I believe means more controlled, farther cone excursion than the stock delta lites.

15. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    NEO all the way. I had a Kappa Pro 210, and switched to a NEO 210... night and day difference in how musical it was. Yeah, the KP's handle more power, but what does it matter if you don't like the tone nearly as much? Avatar's NEO cabs are the stuff.

16. You do make a good point here. I have found XMAX to be very important on the low end.

17. What is the S2010? Who makes it?

18. eminence makes the s2010. thanks for all the help guys, this forum is amazing! I think I am going to go with the NEO!