Help! Avatar B112 + C115 users....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by phillm47, May 9, 2003.

1. What are you guys driving your cabinets with amp and/or power wise? I recently acquired a pair of the "old design" cabinets which are rear ported and use the Kappa drivers. I'm powering mine with a GK 400RB-III, 240W RMS @ 4 ohm. Sounds alright at low volume, but dosen't have the "sound" (clarity & punch?) when I'm pushing the head :(. I've been experimenting with the amp setting such as eq, turning the boost off, gain and master combinations...etc, but I believe my amp head just doesn't have the headroom. It does sound good (great) at low to moderate volumes. What are you guys using?

Just so you know These cabinets have been modified with Speak-on connectors and I'm using 12 gauge speaker cable; over kill but gets the job done.
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm using one channel of a QSC RMX-1450 to push highs only into a B112. I have my amp set on about 50% and it should push about 280w into the B112 wide open, from 150hz on up. I think it sounds fine; no EQ, no effects, just bass guitar.
  3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Sounds like you need more power to acquire the sound you want. 240 watts@ 4 ohms means you're only putting 120 watts into each speaker when running both cabs at the same time. That's enough power for low volume gigs, but not enough for anything beyond that.
  4. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    On your head if you use a passive bass try pushing the -10db pad in and the maxing out the master volume and then adjusting the preamp as needed. Weird how you say there isn't enough punch because my GK Backline 250BL has much more punch and clarity at higher volumes.
  5. Lack of punch was probably a poor choice of wording on my part.

I'm using an active bass. I don not use the -10db pad, but the preamp control never exceeds 11 to 12 o'clock and the clip LED is not even thinking about illuminting. The rest of the settings are as follows: contour 1:00, presence 12:00, Treble 12:30, Hi-Mid 1:00, Low-Mid 9:00, Bass 11:00. I'm leaving the boost turned all the way down. I can turn the master all most all the way up. This sounds very good to me, punchy and clean when using my bass. When I want more volume, I turn the boost up. The volume goes up, but the clarity and tone, to me, goes south in a hurray when the boost is about 9:00 or above and the master is set to 12:00 or above.

Again this amp head sounds good, it's just there are times I wish I had more "umph", which I'm equating to headroom. Is this correct?
  6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    More power!!! Save your pennies and get one of the new GK's coming out end of this month.
  7. Owners of Avatar B112 plus C115 speaker cabinets, what amp heads or preamp/amps are you using?

How well do you like what you using? :)
  8. BigTopBruno

Sep 6, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I have a 4 ohm C15 that I use for small gigs with a HA3500 (350 watts). To me, it sounds BETTER loud.

9. squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    I think this is your problem. I don't own one, but I've read the manual online and when it tells you how to initially try out them amp, it says to put your boost to 12 o'clock. That's probably why you're not getting enough volume; I think the boost is mean to either give you the "GK growl" or to keep any FX you run into it from clipping (I think... not sure about that).
    Hope that helps. If not, then I guess you need more power... which concerns me, since I'm thinking about the 400RBIII. Maybe I should wait for the RBIV's? :confused: Well, good luck with the amp!!
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I had then connected to one channel of my QSC PLX 2402 (725 watts at 4 ohms). I use an old Pearce BC-1 preamp with slight boost in the bass, treble and 200 Hz mid frequencies.

I never played them really loud...I got them after parting ways with Marshall cranking guitarists, but never felt that they were lacking in tone at practice, rehearsal or gig levels (although the one gig that I played with them was pretty quiet).

I don't have much experience with G-K amps...what frequency is the low mid centered at? If it's around 200 Hz, try boosting it rather than cutting it.
  11. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I have one of the older design B112's which I pair with a Bergantino HT112, both driven with a Walter Woods Ultra. I really like the combination and I had never thought about power since the Woods is such a monster and I get all the volume I need. I've found that the combination of the two speakers is wonderful since the Avatar is a softer, rounder sound, more like a 15, and the Bergantino provides the more hard-edged punchy sound. For Bass guitar I'm not crazy about either of them alone, but together they are a great combination and the low price of the Avatar is very compelling. On string bass playing jazz, the Avatar alone with the Woods has been a good speaker.

I haven't heard the new design B112 yet but I rushed to buy one of the last of the older design because I didn't like the idea of a larger cabinet weighing several more pounds. Altlhough I have no plans to make a change at the moment, my next evolution in speakers is going to have the objective of taking at least 20 pounds of weight off.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles
  12. Thanks for all the responses.

I thought there were alot more of you using this speaker combination. :meh:

I'd still like to know what amps you are running with these cabs. Anyone else want to chime in?
  13. I have the older C15 and B112, both in 4 ohms. I purchased them for my son, who had to fill in playing bass in a band, so he "acquired" a SWR Workingman's 160, and that doesn't have enough headroom; it sounds way too thin. Of course, only 160 watts isn't enough, and that was my concern when I ordered them from Dave. Now I recently acquired a new "old" Peavey head (go ahead and bash away) that incredibly sounds much louder, punchier, and deeper through the cabs than the SWR, yet it's the same wattage. Plenty of volume for where he plays.

I've also have run an Ampeg B2R through them, and it sounded ok...volume level was disappointing, and I had to turn the tweeter on the B112 way down.

Just my experiences...use your ear and your preferences to determine what you like. FWIW, these cabs sound much better when you can monitor the sound from afar...anyone else notice that?
  14. both in "8 ohms" for a 4ohm load.

sorry about that...
  15. pennsygopher, I agree with that "monitoring from afar". Which Peavey head did you use and waht was it's power rating?
  16. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I don't have a C15, but I have the B112 (old version). I was running it pretty much as a practice amp, with an Eden Traveler Plus 400. Sounded good but never I pushed it at all...

I recently put the 112 on top of my Bergantino 210, and bridged my QSC RMX 2450 into the both of them (2k watts @ 4 ohms). The overall tone was great, but the 112 didn't sound like it was holding onto the low B string too well. That's what made me decide to go for the Bergie 115 to put under the 210.

17. phillm47:
    Another "sonic" observation...the Avatars don't like to be too close to walls; just my opinion.

Last week I picked up a dead mint 1978 Peavey Centurion Mark III for a song...specs say it puts out 130 into 4 ohms, but I have the pre on 4-5 and the master on 5-6, and it cuts through a solid state half stack, a heavy drummer, and a 2x12 Marshall amp. It has two channels and an Automix feature which combines both channels...parametric EQ on ch. 1 and 3 band EQ on ch.2. Waaaay louder than the aforementioned SWR.

Isn't it all about what sounds good to your ear? The Peavey/Avatar rig cost less than 425.00.

Take care...lots of those Mark III Peaveys on EBAY, too.
  18. banksb

Apr 22, 2004
    I know i'm way late, but i just bought 2 B112s and was trying to power them with a GK 700RB, it just won't push. They sound ok at lower volumes but they start farting out quite a bit when i have to crank it. I ended up ordering Carvin's new B1500. i'll be putting 650W into each cab now.

The GK will stick around for recording.

19. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use a G/K 700RB into either a yorkville XC210 and avatar cb112, or into 2 cb112s. Either way, it sounds awesome. The CB112s are really great cabs. I like hte portability and hte sound-- especially together.
    I tend to run the eq almost flat, presence between 9 and 11, contour between 9 and 11, boost at 2 or 3 and gain and volume to taste. It really rocks. I believe that this is my favorite amp so far. If I get anything else, I'll go for the 1001RB.
  20. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

my rack mount rig is simple :
    Furman Power Conditioner { RP8L }
    Ampeg SVP-PRO pre-amp
    QSC RMX2450 power amp { parallel mode }** edit: check out my " gear review "
    -- into --

i haven't had this set up all that long , but so far no problems with low end ,{ or the high end either } just keep the tweeters turned almost all the way off ... very good combination for blues , jazz & funk that my band plays . :bassist: