Help Bass Broke And I Don't Know What To Do?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 0afish, Sep 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hi, I'm a semi-knew bassist and I have a kind of urgent question, I was playing my bass when I noticed the cord plugged into the bass was kind of loose. I then pulled out the cord and a washer and a nut fell out and now I can see an exposed metalic coil when I look into the hole. What should I do, is there an easy fix to this?

Edit: Okay thanks for the help, I fixed it. IMG_0079.JPG

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    charlie monroe likes this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Remove the little screws that fasten the control plate to the bass.

Push the output jack back through the control plate. Put the washer and nut back on the jack.

Screw the control plate back onto the bass.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Don’t worry! Not a big problem. As above but add these steps. When you get the jack in your hands, check for broken wires. You can put the nut on and plug it in to check that it’s working. But don’t tighten the nut down hard yet. Just finger tight.

Look at the jack. You’ll see a long metal tab. You should assemble it so the tab is facing the pots and in line with them. Tighten the nut HARD while holding the jack in position. That long tab is the “hot” line and you want to be sure it isn’t touching the walls of the cavity it sits in or it may short out and you won’t get any output.

You can also add a touch of nail polish or locktite to the barrel threads to lock the nut in place so it doesn’t loosen again. Check you bass hardware occasionally to make sure everything is tight.

Warhawk likes this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Good to learn how the instrument is put together. Fender (and most bolt on basses) are pretty simple.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021