1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help/ Bass Cabinet / single 6" speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barrblues, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Barrblues

Barrblues

May 17, 2009
    Central Texas
    I have an old Hughes & Kettner "BATT" Tube preamp that has a 5watt speaker output. It is on my bench right now getting cleaned up, lubed, and loved.
    I want to build a little combo with it and a 6" speaker.
    I think the Jenson 6" 4ohm would be a great match.
    Jensen MOD6-15-4

I have tried cabinet building sites with the software but the cab just does not appear to come out doable. I know there are many great cab designers and freaks in this forum. So please any help would be appreciated.

If I need to add a little horn I may be willing if you make a good argument, but I would like to keep things simple and one speaker would be great.

I know I may be asking too much of a little 6", but I have a little head.

Please, if you want to tell me what a bad idea this is Refrain.

I am sure I am not the first to ask for this or similar help on this forum, but the search engine does not have a crazy filter to find them.

Once again, Any and All Help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Scott

2. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    If you just want a little practice combo to fiddle around with at home it might be a good option.
    Put that jensen speaker in a sealed enclosure (the Qes is way to high for a ported design). Since the Qes is high the size of that cab doesn't matter much anymore. Keep it around 10 liters or between 0.3 and 0.5 cu ft. It will give you a mid/bass bump but that's ok since the little speaker can not put out real bass.
    It has enough highs by itself so I don't think you'll need a horn.
    Good luck!

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

Just a littke sealed box for it. Put some stuffing in there, that's it. Most any speaker can handle 5 watts, doesn't need to be a bass specific driver, or cab.

4. Barrblues

Barrblues

May 17, 2009
    Central Texas
    Thanks Guys
    moving forward with BATT mini Combo
    Help greatly appreciated
    Scott

5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    That's such a cool idea! From what I hear on TB, you could probably find a good Faital 6" speaker if you wanted something a bit more modern voiced. I think the Jensen would give you a cool old school (lows rolled out) tone though. If only I actually built that "mini portaflex" I wanted to... :D

6. There is nothing quite like using something that you have made. You will enjoy your diy combo amp regardless of the speaker used, but there are more suitable drivers available at relatively low cost. Consider the Aura NS-6, currently available as a buyout at Parts Express for $9.00. It has the same sensitivity as the Jensen, but much lower Fs (55 vs 91Hz) and much higher Xmax (3.9 vs 0.5 mm), and the Qts and Vas will allow some depth to your tone. Just a suggestion.

Good luck with your project.

Bob

7. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    I would try for something with higher spl considering you have 5 watts. There are 2 Daytons at PE that looked ok

Dayton Audio K165-8 6" Professional Kevlar/Paper Cone Midrange Speaker

Dayton Audio PA165-8 6" PA Driver Speaker

no xmax given but it's got to be a lot higher than the Jensen

for some dough there are 2 very nice ones that I've used

Ciare 6.38NdW - 6.5" LIGHTWEIGHT NEODYMIUM SPEAKER

and

18 sound 6ND430

probably financial overkill

8. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    Though it's a nice driver and very cheap it still is no good contender for a ported design (Qes still to high). It could "work" when the cabinet is more then 1 cu ft. It also needs a bit more power to make use of that extended xmax. The BATT needs a simple, light cone driver and that Jensen seems to be a pretty good one for that purpose.

9. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    The PA165 looks ok too, it might be possible to make a ported design when the cab size is between 0.5 and 0.7 cu ft, tune it to approx 70hz and you're set.

10. Barrblues

Barrblues

May 17, 2009
    Central Texas
    Hey Arjank do you mind running the numbers on the
    Jensen mod 8-20. I think I am heading towards a 8" due to the size of the half rack B.A.T.T.
    Thanks
    Scott

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The 8" mod would also use a regular sealed box. Just a little bigger.

12. Barrblues

Barrblues

May 17, 2009
    Central Texas
    thanks I think:eyebrow:

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It's a guitary sort of speaker with a rolled off bottom. It's getting to where every last little cubic inch won't make much difference. I'd just build it to look nice with your BATT, and you'll end up with a decent size box.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Probably end up somewhere between 1/2 and 3/4 cu.ft. and would sound nice there.

15. I think it'd be a pretty cool little amp to put on your coffee table while you sit on your couch and play.

**NOTE**
    Just a little pointer. NEVER, EVER use the words "6-inch, and small head in the same sentence. That's not good. No matter how comfortable you are with your masculinity. Just sayin', pal.

16. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yah .7 cubic should be just fine
    doesnt really do much more than 2 watts below 200hz.

this is just a 5 watt practice deal, but yah never know.
    maybe it will be fine. only concern is after spending time and money to build a custom box, an extra 20 or so bucks might save you extra in the end if you dont like the jenson.

a eminence beta 8 might be overkill for power, but the sensitivity is much higher and it will do 25watts down to 70hz, so speaker distortion is never to be heard.

jenson 8-20 in yellow Beta 8 in grey

Attached Files:

17. Barrblues

Barrblues

May 17, 2009
    Central Texas
    Thanks! with no sarcasm this time.

18. Barrblues

Barrblues

May 17, 2009
    Central Texas
    I was just having a ...little fun... I chose those words for the double entendre. Nice catch but now I know where your mind is at. Very sorry if second meaning applies. For what it is worth I am married and she is NOT running out on me and always walks away happy and slow.

all in fun

19. Barrblues

Barrblues

May 17, 2009
    Central Texas
    I am not looking for hi-fi but definitely low end. Old school and fuzzy farty is cool with me. Got to have the low end. I appreciate ALL suggestions but at some point i am going to half to commit to a speaker.

Can I build a general sized cab and get the performance from different 8" speakers that you guys are going to send me to try?
    By the way I will return them with only 5watts pushed thru at most. shipping cost on me.

20. Barrblues

Barrblues

May 17, 2009
    Central Texas
    porting vs sealed vs open back/partial open back?

8ohms vs 4ohms? dont see the beta 8 in 4 ohms.