Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help, Bass Recital..What Songs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nancy-Boy, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Nancy-Boy

Nancy-Boy

Sep 16, 2001
    Hey, im Doin Music at A-Level and have been told i need get together a collection of songs for which i need to perform during the course. They have to have a theme running thro them. which means i need to select pieces that have similar connections.Ive chosen to do Funk Music.And so far ive come up with some songs that i will play but i need a veritaty of artists can anyone sugest any good songs that are fairly advanced. At the moment im learning/playing

RHCP - Coffee Shop and Funky Crime
    Jamrioaquai - Too Young To Die, What Ever It is I just can stop
    No Doubt - Different People
    Spin Doctors - Ya Mamma's A Pajama

Nesimilar sorts of things welcomed...

Cheers..

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Hehe,

for funk, of course check out everything by Tower of Power.

If it goes out of funk, I´d check Dream Theater.
    Maybe give the Song "Metropolis Part1 (The Miracle and the Sleeper)" a listen (it´s on the album "Images and Words").
    At 5:30 there´s a nice tapping sequenze, that you could use as a break or something like that. As far as I know, the solopiece is in G major but I´m not sure.

Anyway, I think this has to be in "Misc", or not ?

David

3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Do
    Jungle Boogie
    Stomp
    Bone'in in the Boneyard
    Brick House
    Fire

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    For funk, I highly recommend the live version of Ben Harper's "Fight For Your Mind" (with the long solo). :) As funky as it gets (or close anyway), and a very good tune to learn for bass, since the bass pretty much defines it. It shouldn't be too hard to learn either (well, nailing the groove will take time). Makes for a real show-off. ;)