Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! Bass won't fit in new car :(

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SirFunk, Dec 24, 2005.

1. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Hi,

I just acquired a 'new' '97 Ford Taurus Sedan from my grandmother who can't drive anymore. This car is in perfect condition only 29k miles on it. It's replacing my 92 Chevy Cavalier Wagon (rust bucket). The only problem... I CANT fit my bass in it.

I read all the existing threads and it seems like the accepted technique is: passenger seat forward, slanted all the way back, remove headrest.

Problem: The headrest is permanently attached and the seat doesn't lean back that far. I got the bass in fine, however all the weight rests between the shoulders on the back of the bass.

Big Problem: I can't see out the rear-view mirror or the passenger side mirror.

Anyone have any clue what i can do? Any other strategies to fit a bass in a small car?

I looked up the Blue Book Value on this car: $1,500 that's CRAZY it's basically a new car. I would get a pile of junk on a trade-in, and i don't think my Cavalier will last much longer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Take a seat out.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It sounds to me like you're just fine, really. The Taurus is a small car?

Anyhow, do this. Lay the passenger seat all the way back. Lay the bass in on its left side, bridge facing the driver's seat, neck toward the back -- even resting on the rear sill. Close the door. Get in the driver's seat. Lay the bass back so that the right side is resting on the door. Pull the bass toward the back so that the bass is as rearward as possible. You'll be a bit blind out of the right side of the car, but not that bad.

I've moved basses in much smaller cars this way for years and years.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Also, with some practice after a good strategy session, you'll probably find that you'll be able to raise the passenger seat a bit so that all of the weight of the bass isn't resting on the neck.

I've never had any issue in 25 years of bass schlepping.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Clarification: When you 'lay the bass back' indicated above, the bass will be at a 45 degree angle of sorts, the bridge kind of aimed at the sun visor on the driver's side.

6. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    Thanks for all the info. The problem is: The passanger seat doesn't go all the way back. If straight up is 90 degrees, it tilts maybe 120 degrees back.

Maybe i should take some pictures.

7. SirFunk

SirFunk

May 24, 2001
    Lincoln, NE
    After re-reading your idea, I think that's about the opposite way i was trying to put it in.. Maybe i'll try again tomorrow this way. I was trying with the head towards the front window. I'll try again this way tomorrow.

8. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    You may be able to purchase an after market seat that reclines all the way back.

9. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I had a Ford Contour (smaller version of the Taurus). I'd lay the passenger seat back as far as it would go, move the driver seat as far forward as I could, and then snake the bass in bottom first. The scroll would be down in the footwell of the passenger side. To take the pressure off of the neck, I got a hunk of dense foam or used a rolled up towel to place under the button.

Now I'm in a Toyota Corolla which is smaller still.

10. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I use the exact technique to transport my bass in the cab of my pickup (Tundra). Do be sure to support the neck well.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It seems to me that a quick stab on the brakes would get you a cool detachable (retachable?) neck.

12. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    I go kind of the opposite way. I got a VW Pointer and it's quite small so I lay the back part of the back seat to the front and get the bass in through the trunk, the bridge usually facing the roof and the scroll fits between the driver and the passenger seats. Just be careful with your right turns or the scroll can knock your lights out ;) I'll try Ray's way next time and see if it fits.

13. B. Graham

B. Graham Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    Certainly a chance of that happening, and any number of other injuries regardless of how you haul it.

14. This is more or less what I do in a Vauxhall (General Motors?) Astra of '89 vintage. My teacher does thousands of miles with his bass in a Fiat Punto, and before that he's had various simmilar cars. I think in the US you would view these vehicles as smaller than compacts. Visibility is a bit reduced on the passenger side. I haven't removed the head-restraint either BTW. I do always check when resetting after carrying passengers instead of bass that the neck itself is not taking any weight.

An ex of mine moaned to all who would listen that my bass got the front seat in preferrence to her and she had to ride in the back - and, she announced - the car was scruffy. Obviously, riding in the back did not make her feel like royalty (or the president).

15. Chrix

Chrix

Apr 9, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Instead of putting the passenger seat all the way back, what about all the way forward? When I used to carry my bass in a small car, I'd put the passenger seat as far forward as possible and then put the bass in through the opposite back seat door. Also, I'd put the back seats down (if your car does this). The bass would lay on its back and I'd bring the neck over the passenger seat and set it in between the two seats. This way, my fiance could ride in the car with me if she felt like going to one of my gigs. Plus there'd be plenty of room in the trunk for amp/stool/stand/body, etc... A little difficult to hold hands with the missus with a bass neck in between the two of us, but it always seemed to work for me.

16. ToR-Tu-Ra

ToR-Tu-Ra

Oct 15, 2005
    Mexico City
    That's the way I do it and it works just fine and I can take my amp and cab too :D

17. tenji

tenji

Dec 8, 2005
    I am now considering buying a DB and this is something I am worried about with my 1998 Honda Civic..*winces* Will it fit?

18. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    With a passenger seat that reclines, it should not be a problem.

19. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I went the easy way out and bought an 18-foot long Chevy wagon that can fit 3 DB's , have a passenger, and still see out my windows :D.

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I wish i had a car as big as a taurus... I drive a saturn. i put the front seat all the way back and i can fit a bass and a small amp in there.

i was leaving a gig xmas eve and as i slid the bass in the front seat of my car the violinist who was getting into his car next to me exclaimed "unbelievable!" Looked like my car swallowed the bass...