1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

help...BBE MaxCOM causing distortion!?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Naveed Afzal, Dec 11, 2006.

1. i noticed it 2 days ago, i play a stingray so i figured my 9volt was on its way out so i switched it... still fuzz...

I was running the 2 channels together so i switched my chords around and ran one channel... had extra chords used those... still distortion... bad thing was we were recording and i need it...

I know its the Max Com... ive done everything i could think of to test it... and still distortion what could be the problem? and what do you suggest i do?!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Are the input or gain reduction LED's pegged at maximum when you play? What are your settings?

3. I dont have it with me right now... but the Settings are like this...
    I got these of TB somewhere...

Channel1
    Gate Thres - Off
    CHannel - On
    Threshold - 10
    Ratio 4
    Attack - 10
    Auto - Off
    Release .2
    Output = 1
    Max Off

Chan 2
    Gate Thres Off
    Channel = On
    Threshold - 0
    Ratio 7
    Attack ,1
    Auto = off
    Rlease .5
    Output 0
    Max On (Low 5, Procces 8)

the settings on my amp are

Bass to 2 oclock
    Mid - Cranked
    Treb - 9 o clock

Graph EQ everything is flat except 150Hz is +2
    300hz +3
    600Hz 3.5

and i keep my limiter on...

I cant remember exactly but the Gain Reduction is kind of high but i dont think its at its peak... imputs not bad...

The GR is always the same tho, no matter what instrument i use.. and i dont crank my gain, i usually play relatively quite and Mic my Cab.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    As an experiment, try changing the attack and release of both channels to longish settings like 3:00 on the knobs. Sometimes having the attack or release too fast can cause distortion.

For another experiment, try running some music (like from your stereo) through it, and see if you get distortion then.

5. It worked... no distortion.. im going to fooling around with it... and see if its 'warm up' issue.

thanks for the help... and i noticed my Gain Reducer is Peaked...

While my imputs only 2 bars.. sometimes 3.

6. well i played it and after awhile i noticed the fuzz was back... its not very loud at all thru my speaker, but i notice it...

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Hmmm... I no longer have my MaxCom to refer to, but I think I recall the gain reduction meter starts off fully lit up, and "unlights" down from the top to show reduction. So when you use it, is the GR meter fully lit up, or fully blacked out? If it's fully lit up (and if I recall correctly), then no compression is being applied. So if that's the case, and if your input meter is only lighting two or three bars, then it probably needs stronger input signal in order to operate cleanly without distortion.

You are using a preamp between the bass and the MaxCom right?

8. Ive got an Ampeg B2RE with it...

How do i raise the the signal... ive had it for a couple months and it was working properly all that time... and now its acting funny.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Oh. Well, if it worked well for you before, and you haven't changed your other gear, then it probably needs servicing.

10. I think its just channel 1, which was the channel that was compressing... i turned it off, and unlinked the 2 channels and it was pretty clean.