1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help!Beginner seeks buying advice from exp dbl bass player

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by emoterply, Jul 20, 2007.

1. emoterply

emoterply

Mar 1, 2007
    I am trying to evolve from the electric and am wanting to buy my first upright. I found a new plywood bass at a pawn shop for $900 (PALATINO). Looks cool, but no idea. Also, I saw a 7/8 40's John Juzek for $2500 in a local ad. I'm looking for an opinion. If the Juzek is the real deal, it could be a steal. At the same time, it might be better to start w/a cheaper bass and upgrade once I improve. I love the bass and have been playing the electric for years. My goal is to be able to play standards on the upright. Any thoughts/buying advice would be appreciated!!!

2. rdwhit

rdwhit

Mar 18, 2006
    Louisville ky
    Please RUN, do not walk, RUN from the Palatino! Try to excuse my being rude, but stay away from that one. Start with the newbie pages, there is a wealth of info there for You. If You give Your location in Your profile people will be able to direct You to bass shops near You. I'd also stay away from pawn shops untill You have had some experience w/bass shopping. Can I get an Amen, anybody?

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMO, you should not go NEAR that Palatino.

Indeed, check out the newbie links.

4. one of the kids i'm trying to get to "play" in the high school jazz band is using a rented palatino...

it smells funny...

5. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Oct 12, 2004
    Burlingame, California
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    Friends don't let friends play Palatino or Cremona basses.

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    If you think you're serious about playing the instrument then buy the best bass you can afford. I know a couple of guys who play well and have been playing a long time who have only ever owned one bass. Would you go for a plain, sorta stupid girl or boy friend thinking when you got smarter and better looking yourself you'd move up to someone very intelligent and beautiful?
    It's really important you get some 1st hand help from someone experienced who knows what to look for. It's easy to buy something you should pass on if you don't know any better.

7. TPugh

TPugh

Apr 8, 2006
    Jackson TN
    $900 for the Palatino? :eyebrow:

I started with an Englehardt. For me, it was a decent bass to begin with. When I upgraded, I sold it for much less than $900.

Good luck,
    TPugh

8. If you don't want that 7/8 Juzek, can you send me the seller's info? :eyebrow:

9. emoterply

emoterply

Mar 1, 2007
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll try to buy the best bass I can afford. I'll ck the newbie buying advice section. I just gotta learn this site better. But, what a great website!

10. emoterply

emoterply

Mar 1, 2007
    I'll look it up for you and get back to you.

11. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    ...but if the best you can afford is not worth your spending the $$$, you might want to explore rental options until you can afford something better.

12. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    +1 on that.

13. the juzek...