Help !! bend neck

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by wen1012, Feb 22, 2002.

1. wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    Dear Everyone !!

I've a cheap chinese upright bass,and after playing 1 year , I find my neck is bend ,so the string on mid fingerboard is very high than front and end.
    Do you think change fingerboard can fix this problem ? (because my fingerboard is very soft,not hard enough) or do you have some other recommand ? please help me , Thanks !!
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Is there a gap forming between the fingerboard and the neck? I had a bass that had this same problem, but in my case the fingerboard was too thin to help support the stress on the neck. The luthier that I took it to put on a new fingerboard and clamped it straight (I'm not sure if he did anything else to help straighten the neck) and I had no problem after that.
  3. wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    No,there is no gap between the fingerboard and the neck.

I have buy a rosewood fingerboard on ebay from Bob.Hope this can help to fix this problem.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Wow, I didn't know Bob Hope played bass and sold fingerboards on ebay! ;)
  5. Sorry, wen, but I don't think a new rosewood fingerboard is the answer.
    I think the neck is bending because of inferior wood. Arnold Schnitzer installs a graphite rod in new necks. They will NEVER bend. I think that's what you need here.
  6. wen1012

Jan 29, 2002
    Sorry Bruce Lindfield !! I mean Bob (double bass link page),not Bob Hope.
  7. Speaking as a repairman of some 40 years, let me add this. Short of replacing the entire neck, the idea of replacing the fingerboard to cure the problem is quite valid. I have replaced the fingerboards on several cheap Chinese basses with good ebony boards and had very good results. I don't think that I would use a rosewood board, but that is personal preferrence.
  8. Is it possible that the "bend" you're seeing is the string relief? The amount of scoop will be approximately equal to the string diameter.
  9. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Have you tried tightening the truss rod? ;)

Actually, I'm experiencing a similar problem on my Engelhardt. In my case, I CAN see daylight between the FB and the neck.

I'm a little leery of sinking $500+ into having an ebony FB installed on this particular instrument, though.
  10. englehart blues

englehart blues

Nov 30, 2001
    Graphite rod? Graphite has very little strength.....pencil lead? The wood in the neck has 100 times the strength of graphite.
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Graphite has a lot of strength, provided that the fibers are woven together in different orientations.

Woven graphite is at least as strong as maple.
  12. englehart blues

englehart blues

Nov 30, 2001
    Oh! graphite fibers! yes, very strong, stronger than steel (and very light weight too). The graphite rod is probably a composite with graphite fibers. Thanks for the clarification!
  13. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I put a big ebony board on my '41 Kay around 1984, to replace the maple one we originally installed in 1966, since the neck was warping. I clamped it to try and straighten the neck before I put the board on, and the repair lasted until 1998. At that time a luthier simply planed that thick fingerboard to compensate for the warp that had returned, and it is very playable now.

Speaking of graphite, I would probably consider one of Moses' graphite double bass fingerboards these days. Now that's a chunk of graphite!!