Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Best jazz clone for around 700. Warmoth, Lakland JO, Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am finally making the switch. I am going back to a jazz instrument. I want a four stringer that plays very much like an old quality jazz bass. I know there have been a 1000 threads on this, but I have a price range give or take 100 bucks. I also have some great trades including preamps and Glockenklang amp. I currently have a Modulus Flea 5 and I want the classic jazz sound to be as versatile as I can be. Let me know what you think is best, Modulus GVJ? Fodera NYC? Lakland Skyline JO? or possibly building my own Warmoth, Thanks, Marc

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    How about a MIA Jazz?
    Why buy a clone when you can have the real thing?

3. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea Im goin agree with Mike N. I love the Fender jazz basses.

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There are lots of great stuff said about the JO around here... Do a search, and you'll find. If you want versatility, i'd also recommend a J-retro, which also gets great reviews.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    For something in your price range, how about an MIJ reissue, or a used MIA Jazz and put a J Retro in it?

6. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am not pleased with many Fenders that I have tried. I rather get close to the Fender sound and have excellent playabiliy and quality than get a "real" jazz bass. That being said, how about the MOdulus genesis vintage jazz basses? Do these have the high end sizzle of the composite necks? I hope it would be a nice compromise...Let me know, Marc

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'll vote for the JO.... I have a JO5 that rips!

P@

8. The JO and the Modulus are really nice, but can you find one used for 700 or less??

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's what I'm doing also. I'm considering the $700 price range. My MIJ '75 reissue cost 480.00 plus 120.00 for a J Retro, and 24.00 for a custom p/g.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You owe it to yourself to try a Geddy Lee Jazz before you buy. One of the best 4 string Jazzes under $1000, IMHO.