Help! Best jazz clone for around 700. Warmoth, Lakland JO, Modulus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am finally making the switch. I am going back to a jazz instrument. I want a four stringer that plays very much like an old quality jazz bass. I know there have been a 1000 threads on this, but I have a price range give or take 100 bucks. I also have some great trades including preamps and Glockenklang amp. I currently have a Modulus Flea 5 and I want the classic jazz sound to be as versatile as I can be. Let me know what you think is best, Modulus GVJ? Fodera NYC? Lakland Skyline JO? or possibly building my own Warmoth, Thanks, Marc

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    How about a MIA Jazz?
    Why buy a clone when you can have the real thing?

3. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Yea Im goin agree with Mike N. I love the Fender jazz basses.

4. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There are lots of great stuff said about the JO around here... Do a search, and you'll find. If you want versatility, i'd also recommend a J-retro, which also gets great reviews.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    For something in your price range, how about an MIJ reissue, or a used MIA Jazz and put a J Retro in it?

6. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am not pleased with many Fenders that I have tried. I rather get close to the Fender sound and have excellent playabiliy and quality than get a "real" jazz bass. That being said, how about the MOdulus genesis vintage jazz basses? Do these have the high end sizzle of the composite necks? I hope it would be a nice compromise...Let me know, Marc

7. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'll vote for the JO.... I have a JO5 that rips!

P@

8. The JO and the Modulus are really nice, but can you find one used for 700 or less??

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's what I'm doing also. I'm considering the $700 price range. My MIJ '75 reissue cost 480.00 plus 120.00 for a J Retro, and 24.00 for a custom p/g.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

You owe it to yourself to try a Geddy Lee Jazz before you buy. One of the best 4 string Jazzes under $1000, IMHO.