Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP! Blend+ Volume VS. 2 Seperate Volume knobs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikkel-S, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Hi...

Im having quite a problem deciding what type of knob layout im gonna choose.

I have an old danish built Mørch bass, that im going to have an new active circuit installed in. It's going to be a Mørch pre with treb, mid, and bass boots/cut. So here's my question, should I choose a Volume knob and a Blend knop or 2xVolume, the bass has two soapbar PU's.
    What's the difference?

Hope I made the question clear enough?:rolleyes: with my "limping" english capabilities...

-Mikkel[​IMG]

2. I played a '66 Jazz from 1970 until 1998 when I bought an active 4st with vol/blend/tone. I found that the active 4 was easier to work with (for my playing situation) than the older vol/vol/tone on my beloved J bass. When I got my first 5st, Mudulus Q5 with Ag OBP-1, I had my bass tech install the vol/blend/tone set-up. I like this because it allows me to make quick adjustments in vol to suit the ever changing dynamics of the on-stage sound level. I will use either bass for recording, as needed. This is what works for me, every musician's needs is different. If possible, try both set-ups before you spend the money. One may work much better for your needs.
    Good luck

3. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I prefer Vol/Blend over Vol/Vol.

4. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Thanks..
    Hmmm.. From where im standing now I parcially leaning toward the Vol, Vol config.Because of that's what im used to! But I can see the good things about the Blend and Vol.
    I'm going to the workshop saturday to discuss the alternatives..
    Please keep posting your recommodations and experiences.. Thanks it's a big help!

-Mikkel

5. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
  6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I modified my jazz to vol/balance/tone last summer. I very much prefer it when playing live. Only one volume control to mess with. Mucking around with one to find it's too boomy, to then have to bring the neck volume down then bring the bridge volume up and then get the right mix.

Best mod I ever did. Set the volume. Then adjust the blend.

Go for it.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    My old bass had vol/vol, my newer Corvette has vol/blend, and i prefer that. It is easier to use (i mean you have to tweak less) and the volume level does not change when you change the p-up blendidng

8. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Thanks guys.. The help is much appreciated:D You've made me realise that the Vol,blend is much more easy and simple.. I'll think I wanna go with that config. The root to all this is, to me, in my head,is that there is more sound options in the vol, vol config, but it may be a minor thing:rolleyes: ..

9. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I really liked the double volume system I had on my pre-gibson Tobias:it was very sensible and versatile, with more nuances than the volume/blend system I had,and still have, on other basses.

Unfortunatly very few basses have that system:(

10. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    I agree that it's more convenient to use a Vol/Blend set-up, but I think separate volumes sound better. Not a huge difference, but noticeable to my ears that Vol/Blend sounds a little less open and less punchy.

If the convenience is worth it to you, go Vol/Blend, although to me it's not worth it.

Maybe you can experiment with both and see what you think. In any event good luck with it.

Peace,
    Tony