Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! (Bridge trouble!)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Synthia, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Synthia

Synthia

Jun 8, 2003
    Philippines
    Good day to every one,

I recently start working on my "new" old fretless bass. As I was installing a new bridge the screw broke and a substantial part of it was left in the body. I tried carving space around it to get it out but alas my efforts are in vain. :crying: Can any one suggest what should I do to remove it? any advice is well appreciated. thank you! The low end rules! :bassist:

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    You're probably going to have to get a screw extractor at a hardware store, or take the bass to a luthier to have it extracted, and possibly have them mount your new bridge. Remember, this is much less likely to happen if you drill pilot holes prior to putting the screws in.

3. Raven

Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    At this point, I would absolutely take it to a luthier... its too easy to make matters worse by trying to fix it yourself. What ever you do, DON'T remove any more wood. The luthier will probably have a drill press and can drill out the screw without damaging the body, and then install the bridge.

4. Synthia

Synthia

Jun 8, 2003
    Philippines
    well... i drilled the pilot hole... except i was too tight for the screw... hehehe! I was so excited! ill still try to fix it myself because luithiers here are very expensive and sumtimes you dont get what you pay for...

5. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Screw extractor should work for a reasonably skilled DIYer... To make the screw go in a bit easier, try dragging the threads across a bar of soap or parrafin as a lubricant. I learned this from an old guy that used to make machinists toolchests, (Similar to a Gerstner... The guy was an artist...), which can have a lot of tiny brass screws going into some very hardwood... Hasn't failed me yet :D

-robert