Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help building a J Bass 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by adrian garcia, Dec 19, 2002.

1. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have decided that i would love to have a J style bass around- i always had something for those 70's j basses- and then there's Marcus Miller--
    so i ordered an ash body and a birdseye maple neck from the great guys at USA Custom Guitars-
    now , the question is - realizing that i want to build the " Poor Man's Sadowsky" - im taking suggestions on active preamps and j pickups - let me have 'em!!!:D

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well you gotta get the big block inlays!

Id put either old Fenders, the custom shop reissues, or EMG's, but thats just me.

As far as preamps, Id go with EMG BQC (bass, treb, mid, and mid sweep), or the J-Retro purely from reputation.

Important things to consider with EMG pickups is that you will not be able to use a passive mode, so when the batery dies, you are screwed.

Peace
    Nick

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    well, there's always roger's electronics. he sells the pickup/preamp package on his site and theyre not priced too bad.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    thnaks Nick- im comparison shopping and i see sadowsky now offeres his pickups and preamp- for $400 for the whole thing-- i wonder if anyone has done this yet-

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have DiMarzio Ultra Jazz p/u's in my jazz and it sounds just like a jazz! I really like these pickups. Some people have paired 'em up with a J-retro and had supposedly phenomenal results.:D

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Ram- didnt the DoMarzios get great feedback on the BP test a while ago??- thanks for the suggestion- A.

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi Adrian,

For the preamp, I highlu recommend using an E-pro.

The J-retro or the BTB-01...

There are plently of excellent Jazz pickups out there...Hard choice!

JP

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    well- its starting to look like it will be the j retro deluxe and DiMarzio ultra jazz fives- if anyone opposes this marriage , speak now or forever hold your peace!!
    make it good because if i dont decide to keep it YOURE buying it!!:D

9. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    if you want to build a poor man Sadowsky then you should go with the Sadowsky preamp. I didn't know you could buy the pick up also. But if you want a "cheap" Sadowsky, go for it.

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I have to 2nd the J-retro with Dimarzio's or Aero's. I've had the pleasure of both and WOW, they both sound better then the Sad setup and more flexable.

Please I'm not saying anything neg., but that to be it was better and More flexable. With the Jretro the growl is amazing!

your welcome Steve :D

11. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have 2 basses with J-Retro and really love it...it's an amazing preamp.

12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Hey Adrian, is there a website for these USA Custom Guitars?

Oh, and I'm an EMG guy.;)

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
  14. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Why not a skyline JO5? must be a deal at cost. Do they come with maple boards? Is the Marcus fender sound Northern ash or swamp?

AJ

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    northern

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    acutally, its not that far off- and you have to figure the JO Sky has no pre- they do come with maple boards- im getting a birdseye maple board- natural gloss isnt available right now-
    i want to try some different pups - and pre.. i
    the only JO's available right now are candy apple red , and blue - not for me. i tried to get white block inlays-.. not an option- :(

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You could order a set of Sadowsky 5 string J's & a Sadowsky on board pre amp. Or if you wanna use the pre amp with other basses get the Sadowsky pre amp/DI pedal.

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I tried a few basses with the J-retro, I found that is was way too powerful at almost any setting. one was in a 70's Jazz with orig p/u's & the other, I don't remember off hand.

Please I'm not saying anything neg., but that to be it was better and More usable. With the Sadowsky the growl is amazing!:D

19. Adrian,

I have a Sadowsky (or 2...) and a Warmoth with the J-Retro and Lindy Fralin pups. On my basses, the Sadowsky preamp is much quieter and "true" to the sound of the bass without adding it's own character.

If I had to do it all over again, I would have put a Sadowsky preamp in the Warmoth.

Jeff

20. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Nino, J-Retro has gain pots inside. You are supposed to adjust the gain to match your pups.