1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help building my effects chain!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DobleBlack, Jan 8, 2017.

1. DobleBlack

DobleBlack

Sep 30, 2016
    Hi all, I finally decided to have more than a distortion pedal for my bass and bought some toys to play with. The fact is that is my first pedalboard and except knowing that polytune go first id like to hear opinions about the order of the rest. All I have is:
    Polytune mini
    Dunlop Cry Baby mini
    Source Audio Aftershock
    EA Bass Preacher (comp and sust)
    EA Bass Clone.
    My power brick is a 1 Spot CS7.....
    Any opinion is unvaluable, thanks folks!!!!

2. Very respectable starting line up. I'd say start with that order, only change might be the moving the Preacher between the wah and overdrive.

NortyFiner and DobleBlack like this.
  3. I'd be going: tuner-wah-comp-drive-chorus.

NortyFiner and DobleBlack like this.
  4. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I'd go tuner - wah - drive - comp - chorus.

But tuner - Wah - comp - drive - chorus is also legitimate. Maybe even more used.

Try both and see what you like more.

DobleBlack likes this.
  5. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Personally I would go tuner comp drive wah chorus. I find when the wah is before overdrive it is too subtle. First thing I'd do is try overdrive wah, then wah overdrive and sort out which you prefer. There will be a massive difference.

DobleBlack and gfen like this.
  6. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Polytune mini
    EA Bass Preacher (comp and sust)
    Source Audio Aftershock
    Dunlop Cry Baby mini
    EA Bass Clone.

That would be my suggestion of order, although some prefer their compression last in the chain, and some prefer the sound of their envelope filter being distorted instead of their distorted signal being filtered.

However there is really no right or wrong, so just experiment with what gives you the best result according to your liking and what gives you the best options for what you'd like to have at your disposal.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    DobleBlack likes this.
  7. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Just try and think about it logically. For example. Do you want:
    A)an uncompressed sound to go into the OD(this way you can play softly for light drive or harder when you want a more aggressive clipping)
    Or
    B) a compressed sound going into OD(an even solid drive

Tuner definitely first and I'd say 9 times out of 10 chorus should be last. Experiment with 2 effects at a time to help understand what each does to the signal.

DobleBlack likes this.
  8. DobleBlack

DobleBlack

Sep 30, 2016
    Thanks a lot for your opinions, finally today I can test all together and see what happens! :) Will post final setup.

keatz and NoiseNinja like this.
  9. DobleBlack

DobleBlack

Sep 30, 2016
    Finally, after trying all combinations the set ended up on Tuner / Comp / Dist / Wha / Chorus.
    Ive noticed that the wha (Dunlop cry baby mini), with the OD on (Source Audio Aftershock) sounds lot better before it.
    Thanks again pals.

Basstards likes this.
  10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    DobleBlack likes this.
  11. DobleBlack

DobleBlack

Sep 30, 2016
    In fact, is the Dunlop Cry Baby mini wha. I know about that routing options, but I need an a/b switch to take advantage of that 2 outputs and hours of testing... slowly buy surely, ill dig into that. Thanks!