Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Buying a new bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nowhere, May 27, 2004.

1. Nowhere

Nowhere

May 27, 2004
    Hey,
    I'm thinking of getting a new bass. I have an cheap, old Fernandes and I'm thinking of upgrading. I'm trying to shoot for under $600 but under $400 would be preferred. I know I want at least 5 strings. Thing is I don't know anything when it comes to buying basses (the first one was a present). I play a good variety of music, metal through folk rock and funk and some jazz. I like to slap and pop a lot as well as tap.
    I have an Ampeg amp and no bass effects.
    I'm thinking Ibanez or ESP so far, but can easily be swayed.

So
    1) What are some things I should look for when picking out a bass? When I go to the store, what are some things I should definitely take a look at and test out sound-wise, action-wise, what kind of bridge should I look for (and what types are there?) etc.?
    2) Is there a noticeable, important difference between 5 and 6 strings? How much extra cost is that usually?
    3) Would there be any point of getting a fretless for this style of music or is it just unnecessary extra price? How much extra price?

2. tommiaho

tommiaho

Nov 18, 2003
    Finland
    ESP or Ibanez would be just fine.

Here in Finland extra string costs about 50 euros. So 5 strings = +50€, 6 strings = +100€ (compared to a 4 stringer)

3. Nowhere

Nowhere

May 27, 2004
    Any particular model?

Ok. I think I'll go 5-string then. I can't imagine using a high 6th string all that much.

4. Nowhere

Nowhere

May 27, 2004
    I've been looking around, looking at music123.com and harmony central reviews. It seems like Ibanez makes good sounding basses (the EDB605 seems like the best find so far. I especially like the various EQ settings, I want the versatility), but a lot of them seem to have poor action and a lot of fret buzz that requires fixing. How much does it usually cost to get a professional fix up for these things?

The ESP B305 and Yamha BB605 seem like good ones too.

Though of course I'll need to go to a store and check out the sound and everything for myself before I buy.

5. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I tried a few ESP basses at the local music store, they had active electronics and were rather noisy. I don't remember what model ESP that was.
    But generally in that price range, I think it'd be a good idea to listen critically to the active electronics (if active) because that is often where production costs are cut. Poor electronics can render an otherwise good bass practically useless. Personally I woild much rather get a passive bass than one with mediocre electronics.
    I actually started with a Yamaha bass - an RBX250. Very nice - good value for money. I would recommend that you check out for example the Yamaha BB405 if you're after a 5 string.

6. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Dude, it doesn't sound like you need a fretless. If you want a cool well rounded fiver or sixer go on ebay and scope. Buy a used Carvin 5, Mexican Fender 5, Dean Razor 5. I'd recommend the Carvin because the specs are tight and you can get an old five string for around $500-600. I always tell dudes to check out Deans too. I know Dean well, he's cool and really supports his players so I like to support him. I saw a used Dean Razor 5 string in silver on Ebay today for $100!!!! It's light it looks kinda cool, its $100, it's easy to play and it's a $100!!!! Just don't expect it to hold it's value as all of his basses are Korean built. They're just solid jammers. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: