Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help !!! Buying a new Bass !!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turlu, Mar 4, 2001.

1. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a new Bass. I am in the $1500 CAN price range (Canadian funds = $1000 US Funds).

I hesitate between the Rick 4003 and the Peavey Cirrus.

I have played Bass for several years and I play many different styles. Is the Rick 4003 a versatile Bass? How about the Cirrus?

Any other ideas, let me know.

Help...

2. hey man, if i had the cash i'd spring for a G&L L-2500 if i was gettin a five, i know the only place here in NF that sells em it would cost more but maybe you could get cheaper.... and if you were only for a four string then the L-2000 is awesome to, check them out!

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Of the two, id definitely take the Ric, hands down.

But, if you are going for versatility, youd be better off with the Cirrus, definitely. The Ric only really has two tones, the roundwound tone and the flatwound tone. Both are exceptional (no flame!). The Cirrus though is the more versatily bass...but id still take the Ric.

4. I like both basses, but I'd have to say I prefer the Cirrus.

The Cirrus lends itself pretty well to slapping, while the Rics I've played really didn't at all.. if that means much to you.

5. SantasCabanaBoy

SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    The Ric has a very unique tone, but it isnt the most versatile. Overall the craftmanship, materials, and quality of the Ric is way above a Peavey. If you are playing slap dont go with a Ric otherwise go for it. It is the best bass in the price range hands down. Nothing sounds like a Ric and nothing looks like a Ric (except the knock off ibanez from the 70's). The sustain on the Ric is excellent and it is just a world class instrument for about $1000.

if you want a Ric for $950 check out Fred's Music.

www.fredsmusic.com a very reliable and professional operation, I bought my Ric from there.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And I'm sure that this will get me some flames, but the Cirrus workmanship is on par with the Rick(check it out for yourself) and the Cirrus is way more versatile than the Rick.

Now if it is the Rick tone that you are looking for, there is no other place to get it, but that is the only tone that you will get out of it.

Play 'em both! Get what YOU want, not what we tell you.

7. SantasCabanaBoy

SantasCabanaBoy

Jan 15, 2001
    NO doubt the cirrus is more versatile but i strongly disagree that the crafsmanship is on par with a Rickenbacker

8. let me be the first to flame you. :D oh wait i agree with ya, darn. i was looking at the Cirrus about a week ago and was shocked at the quality. my first bass was a peavy and my second was a RIC, about 15 years ago that was a big step these days peavy has some product that are high end.
    the peavy does have more tones but the RIC is a RIC nothing else sounds like it and it sounds like nothing else. ya can pluck the E string go to lunch and the note will still be ringing when you get back.

p.s. you can slap on a RIC

9. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Thanks guys !!!

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I guess I made my mind and will go for my "Dream" Bass, the Rick 4003.

10. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I think the Ric is a very specialized bass. If you're not looking for the "Ric" signature tone then you need to keep looking. If you are looking for the Ric tone you won't find it anywhere else.
    As for the Cirrus I think it's an excellent bass and way more versaltile than the Ric but it is tonally a very different animal than the Ric. I would give a slight edge to the Ric for quality but I wouldn't be making this choice on the minor differences in quality. I would be deciding what tone I was after then find the bass that has that tone at my kind of playability.