Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HELP BUYING BASS!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stechyshyn, Apr 1, 2005.

1. stechyshyn

stechyshyn

Apr 1, 2005
    i have a really chincy bass right now because i didnt no if i would stick with bass but i really like it and ive been playing for about three months and im considering buying a new bass and i dont no whcih kind to go for id appreciate some help guys nothing over 700 tho lol

2. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    To be honest the info you provided is pretty vague....in other words there was none. How many strings are you looking for, what makes have you tried, new or used etc etc.....

3. stechyshyn

stechyshyn

Apr 1, 2005
    new 4 strings and ive tried the bc rich beast and it had a nice sound ive also looked at a yamaha fretless

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    If you don't know if you're going to stick with bass, don't spend anywhere near $700. A MIM Fender can be had $400 new, but check for used ones if you can.

5. stechyshyn

stechyshyn

Apr 1, 2005
    no no no lol i said i didnt no if i was going to stick with it before thats why i have the bad guitar now i no i am so i wanna get a good one

6. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
  7. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I am not a great fan of BC Rich basses but then again I am not the person buying it.....you are. With a budget of 700 you should be able to get a really nice bass. You must try before you buy if possible. Go to a local music store....tell the salesman to get lost for an hour or so and try as many basses as you want. You are buying new so once you decide on your bass, make sure to talk the salesman down in price. All basses are negotiable, especially if you are potentially spending 700 on one. I am sure my fellow TB members will be able to provide a more detailed list of basses they approve of that are within your price range. I would say the following basses are decent within that price range:

Fender Geddy Lee ( $ 640 or so)
    Fender Standard Precision ( $ 379)
    Fender Standard Jazz ($439)
    Ibanez srx 500, sr400 ($ 400 - 600 I think)
    Yamaha BB400 ( around $ 375)
    Musicman Sub bass ( $ 650)

I could go on and on but I have said enough. Bottom line is get one that feels and sounds good to you. Fellow TB ers, please offer some suggestions because the above list is by no means exhaustive. Good luck with finding your perfect bass.

8. stechyshyn

stechyshyn

Apr 1, 2005
    ive already tried that yamaha one and the ibanez one is in the music store so ill give that a try

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    If you like the MIM Fenders, I say check out the SX basses - IMO better than any of the Fenders I've played...

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Make sure you take some time to play a few Spectors. Any of the models made in Korea will be affordable to you.

-Mike

11. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    get yourself a MIM Jazz...and spend the rest of the $700 on a cool little amp

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Took the words right from my mouth Mike. :p

Ray