1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help buying my first decent upright in the UK

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by attackbass, Dec 7, 2011.

1. attackbass

attackbass

Jul 16, 2007
    Endorsing Artist:Orange Amps, EBS FX, Ernie Ball, Fender Bass Guitars
    So, the piece of crap upright I had needs a new bridge and new strings and so thought instread of throwing money at this bass it'd be better to buy a decent bass.

I've done some research and I've thought about getting something pretty decent that will see me through for a good few years.... I'd quite like a carved solid bass that isn't that 'schoo' orchestra' orange colour.

As far as I can tell there isn't a great deal of choice for buying new or used in the UK - I'm quite happy to buy a secondhand instrument, infact that might be preferable.

New I've found an Archer, the Zellar and the Stentor Student ii and Conservertoire(?) Are there any other brands out there I should look out for both new and used?

Are the Thomann basses any good - they seem to be mostly laminated.

Are there any obvious things I should look for when buying a used upright?

I should also add that i'll be using the bass for mainly pizz jazz but will use a bow too.

Any help/advice would be appreciated. I have a deep knowledge about electric bass but lost when it comes to these beasts!

Thanks