Help buying pickups!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JeremyBender, Nov 26, 2001.

1. JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001

This may be a stupid question, and I hate to waste everyone's time, but I want to buy new pickups for my "Frankenbass", which is an old Guild Burnside. I know this bass isn't anything special, but it's got EMG selects in the P-Bass slots, and the original J-Bass pickups. It's all obviously passive electronics, so can anyone recommend some good pickups? I play more jazz and classic rock, and would love something which offers a vintage p-bass sound. I bought the EMG's years ago and was dissapointed with them. They have way too much punch for me. I already have a Precision Bass and a couple of Jazz basses, so I wanted some pickups with a unique sound. I was hoping some of you could assist in buying the pickups that sound the way I want.. it's not like I can test them out in the store you know?

Thanks in advance!
  2. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    One possible suggestion ...

I recently built a P/J bass for a customer using a Duncan P-Bass "Hot" and a Duncan Jazz Bass "Hot Stack". The "Hot" has a lot of good low end thump and you can add in punch as required with the Jazz PUP. The Jazz pickup alone has the classic Jazz bridge sound but with more output.

It turned out to be a real versatile combination.

Black Rose Customs
  3. Duncan Quarter pounder for the P space. Deep and thick sounding, but with the right hand work you can get some clean highs out too