Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! Buzzing G String

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jive1, Mar 27, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I bought a Warwick Corvette off of E-bay. I put some new strings on it when it arrived and did a minor setup on it. I got the action the way I liked it, but there was buzzing on the G string when it was fretted. It is most noticable on between frets 2-7, but it buzzes all along the fretboard. I then raised the nut height, and the string height at the bridge, but the buzzing is still there. And it is only on the G string. I like my action on the low side, and I have a medium attack. The other strings buzz when I dig in real hard, but not when I pick normally. The neck looks to have adequate relief, after I loosened it a quarter turn.

Does anyone have any ideas?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Buzzing on the first few frets is a classic indication of not enough relief.

It is sort of strange that it only buzzes on the G string though. Usually the larger diameter strings like B and E are the last ones to stop buzzing as relief is added to the neck.

My suggestion is to go another 1/8 of a turn on the TR. You can always go back the other way if needed and loosening the TR nut isn't likely to cause any damage.

After reading about the TR breaking on the other thread concerning a Corvette, I'm almost afraid to offer any kind of advice. :)

Be very careful that the wrench fits the nut properly. You sure don't want to round out the socket that the allen key fits in.

Pkr2