HELP - Buzzy EMGs!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bigwan, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    OK - I know this sounds strange, but I installed a second battery in my backup bass last night.

So now it's got EMG jazz pickups, BTC bass+treble circuit, and 18volts - it does sound brilliant (especially considering that the bass is a 10year old Aria Pro II MAB 20/5!). With the volume up full and no contact with the strings or pickups it's now the quietest bass I've ever played!

BUT - the problem is that when I rest my thumb on either of the pickups (just the pickup top edge - no string contact!) there is a noticeable (sp?) buzz - it sounds like a badly shielded passive bass when you take your fingers off the strings!!! How can this be?

HELP - what have I done wrong? (and I didn't notice the problem before I installed the second battery.....)

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I don't know, but I have found EMG Customer Service to be very responsive. I've emailed them, and I've called them on the phone, and they've always been helpful. Go to their website at and you'll find email addresses and phone numbers. I bet they'll help you.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    EMGs don't need to be grounded IIRC.

So when you ground them, this might happen.