Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help! BXR 300C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lisa Weiss, Aug 31, 2001.

1. I need some help. My old roommate has been letting me borrow his BXR 300C for the last several months. I've finally gotten him to the point of entertaining an offer for it, but I don't know how much it's worth.

We can't find a date on it, but I suspect it was manufactured sometime in the early to mid 80's.

Can you guys help me out? Thanks!

Lisa

2. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have one. I'd say if it is in very good condition, it might be worth maybe $400 - less if it is in worse condition. I recommend checking to assure that the cooling fan operates at both speeds. I found a problem with mine such that the low speed didn't work at all, and the fan would eventually turn on at high speed after the internals warmed up enough. If you have a problem with the fan set-up, let me know, and I might suggest how you or a technician could fix it as I did.

I also upgraded the casters on mine. It is a VERY heavy combo (over 100 lbs.) and the original casters weren't up to the task. I bought heavier-duty ones at a hardware store and bolted them on.

It is a very powerful package, but the 15" is a bit muddy. This can be improved by adding a 2x10 extension cabinet. If you get an 8-ohm extension cabinet, you can get the full 300-watt output of the head.

- Mike

3. Thanks for the info Mike!!!

Got any idea where I can find casters for it? This one doesn't have any, and I feel really bad for my poor hubby! :D

The cab's in excellent shape, and my old roomie just called me back and said he'd let it go for $225.00. Needless to say, I'm ecstatic!

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    nice price, better than what i was thinking....i was gonna say $250

5. Yeah, that's what I was going to go for, at least as a negotiating point. I did some web surfing, but most of the BXRs I found were fairly new, so I was just going to take a stab at it.

I've been playing on it for the last year, and I really like it, so I'm glad he finally caved! :D

Lisa

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    $400 for a 80s BXR? I'll sell you my year old BXR for that! It was used for about...2 months. It's been collecting dust since.

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Angus: :D

I Remember selling my BXR100 for.. $250 LOL! :D

I hated that thing ;)

8. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    You're welcome, Lisa. Any decent hardware store should have casters. I put four heavy-duty 2-1/2" swivel casters on mine. They each have 4 bolt holes. Make sure you secure them with good bolts or screws; a lot of force gets generated by setting (or worse - dropping) the amp onto the casters, or while rolling over rough surfaces. And even these casters would be destroyed if I dropped the "tank" (amp) on them carelessly. It is a heavy mutha, and no picnic to carry.

Sounds like a really good deal! Go for it. I have been trying to sell mine, but I'd like closer to $400 for it because of its condition.

- Mike

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I had one of those back in 94 or 95, I dont think it was that bad of an amp. The line out feature made it sound really good when running out of the board. :D good practice amp imo

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    conrats!! :D

11. Thanks! I'm really glad to not have to worry about it any more. :D Now I'm on the lookouot for a 2x10 cab! ;)

Lisa

12. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    The original 15" in the combo was 8 ohms, and hopefully you have the original. The amp head requires a minimum of 4 ohms, which means if you hook up an extension cabinet in parallel to the internal 15", the extension should be no less than 8 ohms.

There is probably a lot of discussion in the archives about 2x10's. You can also check out other reviews at this site: http://www.bgra.net/bass-rev.php.

I use a Carvin 2x10, but I have heard Eden's and like them better (and I just saw a few for sale in the Harmony Central classifieds). Nemesis might be a good, less costly alternative. Running the speakers in parallel, you'll feed 150 watts into each (if both are 8 ohms). Most decent 2x10's will handle that with no problem. Good luck.

- Mike

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    any idea's on what kind of 2x10 youd like?

I know these cabs arent for everyone, but I recomend Carvin Cabs to alot of people, they sound pretty good, are inexpensive and they're built like a tank. The price is what got me to check them out.

www.carvin.com

14. Actually, I'm probably going to go with a Carvin. I got a bass form them a few months ago, and I'm really happy with it. I've heard really good things about their Cabs, and when I was researching this amp, almost everyone that had added a Cab to it added a Carvin.

Lisa

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    *subliminal message* spend the extra $100 and go with the rl 4x10....go with the rl4x10.. :D

16. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Problem is, their 2x10 is 4 ohms. In parallel with the 15" in the Fender, you'd have 2.7 ohms - too low for the amp. If you wired in series (not recommended), you'd have 12 ohms, which means the output would be even less. Therefore, Carvin wouldn't be a good idea. Try to find a decent used 8-ohm 2x10 - or, if you don't mind hauling around a bigger cabinet, get the Carvin 4x10 (as cassanova suggests), which is 8 ohms.
    - Mike

17. Wait....I have this strange overwhelming urge to buy a 4x10 now! :eek:

Where'd I put my checkbook!

Lisa

18. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    cassanova: compared to those Fender Bassman Combo Amps... The BXR looks like garbage! :) (IMHO) I tried those Bassmans out.. Pretty darn good! I wouldn't mind having one! But I'm happy with my Crate BX15 or whatever it was for my practice amp :)

DM

19. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    :D

imo a 4x10 and 1x15 set up sounds much more defined than a 2x10 and 15. warmer, deeper, tighter and punchier too.

20. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah, the new series Bassman amps are pretty nice, but she's getting the BXR for a very good price, and it has a LOT of power. The tone from the 15" isn't for everyone, but if she likes it, hey, that's what counts.
    - Mike