HELP! Cabinet repair advice needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HanSoLow, Aug 5, 2009.

1. HanSoLow

HanSoLow

Aug 5, 2009
    I bought a really crappy Behringer Ultrabass BA410 cabinet for really cheap, which is of course the reason i bought it. Recently one of the 10's is making a horrible buzzing noise. My thought is that i could replace the crappy speaker with a better one (like a JBL or Eminece). Should I replace just the one, or go ahead and replace them all at once? would it mess up the impedence if i just went in and disabled the offending speaker?

its the speakers that make the cabinet, right?

help a brother out...

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    The cabinet has a serious affect on the sound of the speakers. Tuning, bracing, et cetera.

You should replace either two at a time or all at once (bottom two or top two generally).

It will change your impedance to have one speaker disabled and you need to know the wiring scheme and the impedance of the speakers to know how that will be.

I would not waste my money putting a new set of speakers in this cabinet if it's constructed like I assume it to be (unbraced MDF or OSB is most likely) - for the price of a set of decent speakers you could get a decent used cabinet like Peavey or something.

edit: If you can get an OEM replacement from Behringer for cheap, that would be the way to go.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to the above.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021