1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HELP!!!!!! can ANYONE come up with a good comeback to the insult "Bass players are..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by missymoolaura, Jan 7, 2008.

1. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Or you can always activate your internal kill switch and everybody will be blown away...

2. son?​

3. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    uncle petey?​

4. casualmadness

casualmadness Man About Town Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2005
    VA
    Just smack 'em and walk away. Keep your pimp hand strong...

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    From reading posts here on TB, I get the impression that a lot of people have heard these types of comments. Am I the only one who hasn't? Not at gigs, not at jam sessions, not even in casual conversation.

Do people really give you grief when you tell them you play bass? I've had people who know nothing about music not know the difference between a guitar and a bass, but that's about it.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    So what are you saying? That your better than all of us. :eyebrow: How rude! :spit:

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Just in terms of my bass playing. Oh, and apparently in terms of grammar as well.

Seriously though, I have never had anybody disparage the bass around me before. Even when I was starting out and was terrible, nobody made snide comments about my instrument of choice. I always found myself in the nice position of having lots of people wanting to play with me because I played bass. Really, it wasn't until I joined here at TB that I came to realize that this kind of dismissive attitude toward my fellow low enders even existed.

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've never had any grief about playing bass before. I've had people unsure as to what bass was ("isn't it a big guitar?") but apart from that, nothing.

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I haven't either but I like messing with people. Especially dumb ones. I'd love to help a fellow TB'r out on that end. ;)

10. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    "People who can't handle 6 strings are called guitar players" :D

11. Yeah. SO MANY PEOPLE! of them say it as a joke, but its SO ANNOYING! and god. im only 16, i dont wanna be putting up with it any more hahha. Hence why i made this thread. To shut the idiots up. Mostly my art teacher. he says it everytime i mention bass

12. Hahaha tell ya what guys there have been some bloody funny ones so far.

13. You could answer:

''And the singer? He doesn't have a damn instrument! He gotta be a real loser...''
    ''guitar=melody, bass=melody+rhythm, complex huh?''
    ''And I guess you never heard of Billy Sheehan?''
    ''Have you ever seen a guitar player playing on a Chapman Stick/Warr Guitar? and those have more than 11 strings''
    ''Try to paint something beautiful with only 6 colors, then try with only 4 colors, guess which one is harder''
    ''Oh and that explains why there is no 6 stringer instruments in classical music''

But I'd surely say something like:
    '' I won't waste energy arguing with you, you're simply a worthless ignorant and stubborn person''

14. the bass is an easier instrument to pick up and play(than a guitar) but much harder to be good at

15. Ramstien

Ramstien

Aug 19, 2007
    Perth
    "If bass is so easy, play something". Hand them your bass, watch them die.

16. Pizzicato muscles help a lot in bed.

17. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    So your saying it only takes me 4 strings to get the job done? By the way aren't 2 of yours the same (Ee)?

18. I haven't either, that I recall.

It's that sort of "persecution complex" that makes some discussions seem pretty silly.

19. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Game, set and match.

20. "I like turtles."