Help! Can't Decide between 5 and 4!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I hadn't picked up my Carvin LB75 P since I got the L2K back in Jan. I was grooving on the 4 banger, feeling more in touch with the bass then I had in a long time. Until today. Just for the heck of it, I pulled out the Carvin a plugged in. It just felt so sweet. And the low B seemed like more of a friend then before. I was so decided to ditch the 5, but now I am not sure. :confused:
  2. BassDerek

Aug 15, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    Do a search, there are plenty of threads already on this subject.
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Really? I haven't seen any threads on any of his basses recently...

Anyway, keep 'em both, or I'll be glad to take one off your hands free of charge (don't worry, I'm lefty, too).
  4. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Problem is, I told the wife I was going to sell the Carvin to finance the L2k. And I was going to sell my SX BG205 to buy a MIJ Jazz. Now I am not sure. :meh:
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Marley, I don't know how tight your finances are, but keep the Carvin and G&L if you can. They are both quality basses that can bring some good things to the table. I would get rid of the SX and forget about the MIJ Jazz. If your finances are anything like mine, you have to accept that you simply cannot
    have everything, but the things you do have, should give you maximum benefit.
  6. Keep the 5 string. There are times when the extended range comes in handy.

Carvins are great too. I'm really enjoying my new Icon 4 string.
  7. ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I have the same problem. . . sort of. I put down a 5 and pick up a 4 and think "Geez! Why did I ever quit playing this?" I'll play a few gigs with the 4. In a week or two I pick up the five again and think "Holy Cow! What a great idea to add a low B!"

I plan to keep both.

BTW: My Carvin LB75 is absolutely my work horse! I have a G&L SB-1 (4), Alembic Orion (4), and an MTD Kingston (5). I probably use the Carvin live more than the other three put together.

(All LEFTY as well!)
  8. Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    Keep the 5.

You can always leave a string off.
  9. rylche

Oct 27, 2005
    string spacing and neck size would be different though. i would suggest that you keep both of them, both are quality instruments. sell the SX off if you have to though.
  10. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'd personally keep the L2K.